Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trasmission leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mattman4x4, Aug 30, 2006.

1. mattman4x4

mattman4x4 1/2 ton status

Hi all,
    I am kind of a new guy to working on his own truck, and I have transmission leak from the filler tube. How do I replace the tube, and is it something that I can get form the local parts store?

K20 truck with 350 and TH350

thanks for the help!

2. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you tried tapping on it to make sure it's in good?

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You don't have to replace the whole tube (unless it's cracked or something), just the o-ring at the bottom.

If you do have to replace the tube, most parts stores have chrome tubes for TH350 in stock. There's a bracket that goes from the tube to one of the bell housing bolts.
    Remove bolt, pull out tube, insert new tube, reinstall bolt, top off the fluid.

4. mattman4x4

mattman4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes I tried tapping on it and it appears to be leaking at the bend and bracket, near the bell housing. when I add fluid it runs out and onto the bell housing and down onto the drive shaft, and ground.
    thanks Matt

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like the weld popped on the bracket and ripped the tube. You can either replace it or (if money is tight) just re-weld it.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you might just find out how well that chrome junk works. i would find one from a tranny shop old stock or junk yard origanal.

best way to seal oring style is drain fluid below tube to case point. then all clean and dry . new oring and tube of black rtv. install tube to case and then nice bead of rtv all around tube at case. let cure 3-4 hours and then full tranny to level.