Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trayns q's please help asap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Mar 1, 2003.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

trayns q\'s please help asap

I have a 89 k5 350 motor 700r4 trans when it shifts through
    1'2nd it's ok when it goes to drive it seems to slip but if you stick it to the woods it seems to go ok does this have something to do with the lockup

the fluid was dark but not burnt and it was the proper level /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dheavychevy38

Re: trayns q\'s please help asap

is there any way to test for the lock up

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you saying it slips from 2 into 3? Or only going into O.D. (4th)? Either way it's most likely not the lock-up feature of the torque converter at fault. Now, it may be the torque coverter itself, but not the lock-up part. I say that because the torque converter isn't locked during shifts - only after a given speed, rpm, and throttle input is achieved. The lock-up is controlled by an electrical input...it's the four prong plug on the top of the tranny, driver's side, above the pan. I suppose you could check for an electrical reading there, but it wouldn't send any information until the engine says to (certain speed and rpm). So, I'm not ruling it out, but the lock-up part sounds unlikely. How many miles are on the tranny? You may want to think about changing out the governor/servo - see if that'll change the shifting. If you have more questions, I'd be glad to help and look in my service manuals, but mind you I'm no tranny expert. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. dheavychevy38

i will check that but it isn't when it shifts it in the hole gear it just seems to grab better at a higer rpm
    thatnks for the reply everone one here is a great help