Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRD

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekquistk5, Jul 25, 2004.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ive been seeing alot of toytotas driving arround lately. Everytime is see The TRD off road package sticker i think in my head that reminds me of TURD!!!Anyone else think this?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think Z71 bullshit stuff, everyone needs an offroad truck, but my lifted CAPABLE stuff is dangerous? yeah I've thought Turd before too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

no, or at least till now anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i see TURDs all over the place /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no, or at least till now anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dito

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Guy in our club has one of those with the factory rear locker. He runs circle around us in the sand and the snow. I used to not think much of them untill I saw his in action. I've eaten some crow over it too. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Guy in our club has one of those with the factory rear locker.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's realy a slick push-button locker, allthough you can only engage the thing in 4 low and under 5 mph.
    I seem to recall, there being a set-speed for the unit.
    Light weight, good power, rear locker and rather large tires. Pretty nice for a factory effort.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The trucks that are actually equiped with the TRD equipment are really pretty good truck, but there are a lot of Toyota P/U's with the TRD logos that don't have the equipment.

When my son and I were used truck shopping we found a very nice looking SR5 with the TRD logo's, but after brief inspection it was obvious it didn't have the equipment. The dealer had put them on to attract more attention to the truck and bring more money.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, that rear locker TRD yoda is a great factory rig. I'd rather have that than any currently produced GM-built truck...

j

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

When ever I see a Tacoma I always think TACOma.
    My Boss has a new TRD. I drove it around on the riverbar the other day. Great ride and the power was very good, I dout I could get it stuck. I would take one over that ugly Colorado /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif anytime.

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have never doubted them as far as off road performance, light, and lots of power! Its just the name!

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah good rigs but thats the first thing I thought of when I saw it too.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You can change that REAL easily. All you do is unplug one wire and plug it into a new location, and you can then engage it at any speed. I just cant remember where you plug it back into.

For a factory truck its pretty darn capable. And if the power isnt enough for you, can always add the factory waranteed TRD supercharger. Its a shame that the Tacoma is going to lose all its capability next year when they base ir off of the new Runner and eliminate the rear locker(at least thats the rumor). First they get rid of the FZJ-80 for the 100 back in 98, and now this.

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[ QUOTE ]
    I think Z71 bullshit stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on that. A buddy of mine a while back wanted an extended cab Z71. He wanted to lift it and put on a bunch of bling bling stuff after the fact. At first he was going to buy the "California Concepts" package but I finally dissuaded him from making that mistake. CC used to just put on the cheapest lift they could find (usually Trailmaster), some Trail T/A tires, Alcoa knock-off rims, and a hokie hack into the existing exhaust pipe and make it look like duals exhaust setup with big chrome tips. But, I was unsuccessful in talking him out of the Z71 package. My understanding was that the package consisted of Bilstein shocks, a front skidplate, and the sticker on the bed. The shocks and skidplate were replaced when he went with the ProComp lift kit w/ ProComp skidplate. All he got for his money was the stupid sticker on the side of the back since the rest was taken off and either dumpstered, or hauled home by one of the mechanics. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ive been seeing alot of toytotas driving arround lately. Everytime is see The TRD off road package sticker i think in my head that reminds me of TURD!!!Anyone else think this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apprently you haven't wheeled with one or you wouldn't be thinking that /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I personally would love to have a Taco TRD for a daily driver/occasional wheeler. You honestly cant beat those Jap cars for reliability and such. Dont get me wrong Im all American truck but you have to look at the facts and reality....

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait, i thought GM had the "best built, longest lasting" trucks on the road? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

just playin, even while getting abused those lil toy 4 cylinders are good for 250,000 miles. Pretty amazing. Baby the thing and half a million should be no problem.

j