Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRE adjustment measurement ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Dec 27, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

do you think i can get away with being as much as 1/8" off on TRE adjustment when i get the new TRE on the 83 tomorrow ? i think i can get it within 1/16" or hair more, but maybe as much as 1/8" off from original setting with the old TRE.

could that be bad? or is that damned close ?

thanks for anything

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Put it on and measure from rim to rim on both the front edge and the rear edge (infront of and behind the axle). Adjust it as needed. That should get you close.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

does it matter if wheels are perfectly straight or not when i do this ? so far it is driving ok, but still some slop in steering, not good enough to load down and haul down the freeway quite yet though. btu ive put about 50 miles on her today so far and thats with guesstimating on TRE adjustment and also without stabilizer shock installed. and then the freaking 4 speed locked up on me earlier, that was fun.......

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Id try to get them as close to straight as possible to make it easier, but no, they dont need to be perfectly straight.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

awesome, thats cool, this might be one of my projects tommorrow then, also i noticed that my steering wheel is turned to the right a bit when going straight down the road, it was like this before also, and is still.. even after adjusting steering box tighter and the TRE replacement, nothing else is loose under the front of the truck, humm,,. those took care of it all.

thanks