Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRE help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, May 18, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey gang, I was trying to figure out why my steering is always pulling hard to the right today... and in that process I disconnected my pitman arm from the SB and the drag link. Im trying to put everything back together now and am having some trouble. All my x-over stuff is rockstomper-made. Basically, I am trying to connect the drag link to the pitman arm via a tre... well.. .when i try to turn the castle nut, the shaft thing that it screws onto that goes into the grease boot etc just turns with the castle nut. Naturally, there isnt anything to clamp vise grips or anything onto so I cant figure out how the heck to turn the stupid thing and actually get it to go on. and, OF COURSE, when I installed all this stuff last august, all the nuts just screwed right on... NO problems. grrrrrrrr. Its not a corrosion/rust issues, Ive cleaned the snot out of the TRE and the castle nut. It seems that the shaft thing on the tru that is threaded to accept the castlenut tapers... so that if you got it into the hole in the pitman arm far enough it would provide friction and everything would work... but it doesnt seem to. any1 have any ideas?! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

2. jekbrown

nm... figured it out. used a crowbar to leverage off a leaf spring and hold the tapered end in the pitman and then the nut went right on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

heh, when that crap happens i usually, beat on the TRE/DRE with a hammer, while im turning the ratchet... Takes a little coordination, but works ;P

4. jekbrown

yeah, getting a hammer in there was hard tho cause i woulda had to swing the hammer upwards and the leaf spring + axle + hydro was all in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just needed to really lean on it with the crowbar and everything was ok. Proves the old theory tho... a BFH + big crowbar can fix anything. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j