Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tread Lightly?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rob 85K5, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought I would post this here, rather than land use, to get the most responses. I have read over and over again that when you are wheeling that you stay on the trail that's there.

What happens if you are going along the trail and there is a mud hole ahead, nothing huge- you've been there before. You start into the hole and it starts to consume you. Do you A) Stay on the trail at all costs and get stuck...Get yanked out and turn around...winch through the mud hole and keep going...delaying you 30 minutes or more only to have to do the same on the way out.
    OR B) Turn out or back out of the hole and go around in the light underbrush and be on your way to spend the restof the day further down the trail. No chainsaw or bashing small trees over.

I'm looking for opinions and/or clarification on what the correct or even "moral" thing to do is in this situation or other examples of this dilemma. Is there a happy medium between tread lightly and stuck up to your doors for the rest of the day(or more).

This could help many understand what is expected of them and what is "wrong" even if they didn't mean any harm.

Thanks,

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

The way I understand it is dont go off the "trail" like into a heavily wooded area with no trail but with your muc example i would say B would be ok as long as you dont go to far into the brush.

- SlyDog [​IMG]

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

My personal rule is leave it as you found it (or better by picking up trash if you see it). If you run over some small brush I don't see any real harm... as long as you aren't mowing down this 4 ft wide trail of where you go. Around here most of the times the trees are so big it's the pit or smash the front/rear of your truck.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    This is the first part of the TREAD LIGHTLY! pledge
    Travel and recreate with minimum impact
    Staying on designated trails and routes reduces the impacts of outdoor recreation. Travel only on land or water areas that are open to your type of recreation. Be sure your vehicle size is compatible with the road or trail conditions. Cutting switchbacks and taking shortcuts can destroy vegetation and cause others to use the unauthorized route. Most trails and routes are designed to withstand the effects of recreational use. Resist the urge to create new ones.

Check out the rest of pledge at http://www.treadlightly.org/index.html

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

My attitude towards this is really use your best disgration. I dont see any reason that you should go thru a mud hole if you know for certain that your not going to make it. and all be damned if I'm going to back track unless I absolutely have to. I'll go around the mud hole provided mother nature lets me. I dont mean tearing ass thru the woods and running down everything in my path, but more or less just creep'n around the "mud hole". Like I said use your best disgretion.

Oh and by the way how do you think the trail was made in the first place? Did it just magically appear one day? Am I right?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you forgot C turn around go home and buy bigger bader tires and drive through the mud pit lol

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

True...lol

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i say B is ok as long as you TREAD LIGHTLY dont go spinnin tires in the brush, but go slow and easy though it.
    thats my .02

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

9. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

"Tread Lightly" is the greenies emasculating our blazers! I for one will not tread lightly unless it's private, a park or a protected area. If I'm on national forest and my blazer can go there it does. Vote Republican, keep our rights!

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Taterblazer. You struck a nerve with me. I go to Idaho every year deer hunting. 25 years ago we used to be able to make our own roads. Now because of people tearing up everything we can't. I watch people that don't buy bigger tires use chains in the mud and tear up the roads. Go threw places they they shouldn't be and tear up the roads. That ruins it fot the rest of use. And after you are done tearing it up. We have to pay BLM or the Forestry to come in and buldoze it level again.......Just my .02

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Taterblazer, do you even know what "Tread Lightly!" is about? It has nothing to do with emasculation, it is about respect. That means respect for the land and for others. If what you are saying is true: "If I'm on national forest and my blazer can go there it does.", than you are what is causing all of us to lose our rights to travel on NFS land. There is more to keeping land open than voting. We are a relatively small and unorganized group. If you want to keep land open the first step is to stay on the trail. Next write and phone your elected officials. Work with your local land stewards: private owners, FS, BLM, Rangers, ect. Join a club, just look what the NRA & Serria Club have been able to do. (Please don't think I am suggesting you should join the Serria Club, it is just an example.) Finally, as you suggested, vote. Not necessarily party line, but for the candidate who will represent your interests. I noticed in your profile you do not belong to a club and that you are new to this, but now is the time to get involved. With the current administration we may be able to reverse some of the mess that the last eight years of mismanagement has gotten us into. I hope you will at least look at http://www.ufwda.org/2K/ and find out what these groups are about before you bash them. Finally, check out the "Land Use" board EVERYONE!
    Rob this is a great post. To follow "Tread Lightly!'s" guide lines you would go through the mud hole or over/through what ever the obstacle is unless there is a recognized bypass. Going around an obstical like you mentioned will eventually enlarge it and cause more of an impact. Winching and pulling are part of this sport. Also, if you can't make it stop and try another line or accept the strap/cable. Don't fall into "one more try" trap. I am not saying give up the instant you lose traction. If you have given it three or more hard shots with no progress you probably aren't going to make it. This sums it up best: http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

12. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Always a tough one.
    I belong to the AURS which has similar principle as Tread Lightly.
    You should try to stay on the trail, winch through if you have to. I wouldn't turn around. If you go around it you are creating another pass through that you can count on other trucks following.
    Ex. we have a great trail here called meadow creek. Very challenging.It has quite a few 44 holes. Many trucks have made a go around which has destroyed the meadoe beside it. This trail now faces closure because of the damage that has been caused to the meadow so we are likely looking at losing one of my favourite trails until it repairs itself.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

13. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree with Bigjbear. Some people do not understand what Tread Lightly means. And some people will definetly give use a bad name.

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm up in the mountains of Colorado, my house is at approx. 9500ft. Up here it's a hole differant world. If you have ever been on the top of a mountain at say 11-12,000 ft. the Tundra is amazing. There is thousands of little flowers and plants that are 2" tall and have been around for almost as long as I have. I even watch were I walk!. When you go over a little in an area (sea level) where it grows so fast you can't see it the next week it's not a big thing but up here, when you go off the trail, your marks can stay there for 20 years, I tread lightly ! Use your discretion, but always be light..........
    By the way, a freind of mine went around a mud hole up here and the forest service was watching him from miles away, met him at the trail head and gave him a $50.00 ticket! and he was easy....

[​IMG]

15. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In regard to White Knight's post, I ask this question. Who is more to blame? The people making the go around, or the people with 44's tearing holes to china that a guy with 33-35's will get swamped in and maybe destroy a motor?

You start out with a moderate trail with a muddy spot that eventually becomes a mud hole that everyone, with decent tires, can pass and then someone running very large tires tears through it. Now the nice trail that everyone could enjoy is now only accessible to those who can afford enough lift and tires to get them through the mud hole. Where do you draw a line in these situations, whose to "blame"?

Should tread lightly count for depth too?

Not flaming, just looking for opinions and responses!!

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

16. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I was waiting for that post.
    This is a good discussion.
    Think about it........
    I'm running 44's and come up to a large hole.
    90% of the time I will be doing 800 rpm going throught that hole and put through. I am not spinning my tires and digging the hole out.

Come up to the next hole...... a guy with 33's is stuck. He's been trying to get out for the last 3 hours , spinning the crap out of his tires and digging it in.
    Tell me whos's doing more damage?

People have this misconception that big tires do all the damage
    Wrong !
    Traffic creates those holes, people not respecting the trails.
    Don't get me wrong I love to rip her but I choose where it's going to happen. We have an area set aside called Johnsons mud pitt and that's exactly what it is. I will flip real estate to the next county there and in bog races.

I am not a total inocent as I am sure no one on this board is, but if we all have a set level of respect for the trails we will be able to keep them.
    There are rednecks with 44's and 33's and these are the people that need to realize the impact

Just a note about myself..... I have spent the last two years working with AURS ,member of Tread Lightly and have spent hundreds of volunteer hours through this organization working with our government on acces management plans for our area here in Alberta. I want to keep these trails. I want my kids to continue to use these trails.
    It is not a joke...... people need to work together on this.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

17. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

IMHO, the Tread Lightly concept is laid out as a guideline. Our club policy regarding this is: Stay on the trails 'whenever possible'. No one can expect a stock truck driver to attempt a hole that he just saw a 35" equipped truck struggle thru. Especially where its full of water. Also, I would never ask him to turn back. If he wants to continue, he has choices. Get hauled thru, try it, or go around. If he can "tiptoe" around the edge of the mud hole, without bashing trees etc., that is acceptable to us. If we see any member of our club excessivly bush bashing, he will be asked to stop. If it continues, he will be warned that his membership is in jeopardy, and if it continues, he will be asked to remove the club decal from his vehicle. 99% of our wheeling is on Crown Land so we (or any other organization) cant deny anyone access to it, but we can remove his affiliation with us. By the same token, we cant stop a stock truck from joining a run that is totally too difficult for his truck.
    Honestly tho, we see far more damage to the area surrounding the trails by quads who dont want to get wet or muddy. They are the ones that create the winding little go arounds thru the woods. With the heavier quad traffic than trucks, the little go around eventually becomes wide enough for a truck. Then, of course the trucks use it. Because of the type of ground we live on, the more traffic, the more it gets muddy. Then the quad guys grumble that trucks are chewing up 'their' trails. They dont want to get muddy so they make another. Its a never ending circle. Up here, there is no easy solution.
    I also want to point out that whether its fair or not, I had to build my truck to go where I want it to. If the guy down the street with his stock SUV wants to go to the same lake that I do, he is going to have to spend some money and build his too. I am not going to baby my truck and the trail just so someone who isnt as big as me can get there too. I like being able to get to places where not everyone can get to. Thats why I built my truck the way I did. And if I am wheeling, I am going to wheel. If I feel the truck slowing forward progress, I am going to get on the gas. With the 327, and the 4:56s, the wheels are going to spin. I want them to. I built it to get me thru. The guys SUV with the all terrains isnt going to have an easy time of it. Oh well. Spend some money. If I decide to follow a truck with 44s, I am going to have trouble too. Thats my choice. Either I build my truck bigger, or I learn to drive better (better line, better steering control etc.) or I tiptoe around the edge, or stay at home. Or break out the winch of course.
    Guess thats my opinion on things.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

18. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

taterblazer, I think it would be a good idea to re-think your position. Just a suggestion.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have to say...I currently have 33's on my Blazer. I have seen many guys with 44's thinking it's so dang funny to spin down and tear up the mud so people like me sink down into it. Then I have to sit there and spin and make it worse because they got me into this position. The people with 44's who use them right I got no problems with. It's these jerks with them that dig holes and sit back and laugh when you can't get by because they trashed the hole/trail. Only reason I have ever had to dig in a hole is due to this type of thing. If it was used right to begin with then I wouldn't have this problem and neither would others. So I do think the tire deal with the size is an issue when they are being used for the purpose to sink in smaller tires and vehicles because some people find it funny.

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Do you know how to keep our rights????? By NOT abusing them! Going through a national forrest is abusing rights! You stick to the trails. A little tip toeing is fine, but you do NOT make your own trail. Attitudes like that are why trails and parks are getting closed, including your beloved national forrest that you have fun trashing. Have you ever looked at wild life? You should try it sometime. I like to wheel, but I do it responsibly (by staying on trails). I also like to look at wild animals. They are really pretty and the sounds are neat. I think the best is to go wheeling to go and look at wild life. There is room for 4 wheelers and people who like to watch animals and hug trees and what not, but not with attitudes like that!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>