Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Treadmill or not?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by outlawtorn, Oct 22, 2005.

1. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Well these last couple weeks ive been thinking about my weight issue alot. Ive came to the sharp realization that if i dont do something now this could become an actual life problem :o As of tonight i weigh 278lbs... and im only 16. Ive tried numerous times to drop weight and ive dropped up to 30 lbs but i always gained it right back because i just said screw it after awhile.

Well heres my problems... Im pretty self-conscious..( i know most of you are thinking.." your self-conscious yet you let yourself become what you are...) I know it sounds rediculous but i am. So due to that ive never been able to workout in public... (i still havnt taken my PE class in highschool and im a junior :rolleyes:) Ive had gym memberships but i usually just went to **** around with my buddys and be a spotter :crazy: I could never bring myself to running or lifting in front of people because im insecure... and i still am. Like tonight for example.. i decided to try running a mile in my neighborhood... yea bad idea. I stopped running when ever i passed a lit window, so id run 5 feet and stop :rolleyes:

So anyway, for the last week ive been going around to diff stores and checking out treadmills and have found them to be pretty reasonably priced and i can afford numerous models of them. My friends are with me but my mom doesnt think its a good idea... she thinks that it will be used for a week and then ill just say screw it like the rest of the times ive tried. On a regular day she'd probably be right, but this time im going for it... im sick and tired of never being able to have a good time at the lake, i can never find clothes, i cant participate in sports like i use to... and mainly i havnt had a GF in 2 years :doah: My plan is to run 2 miles a day, not at once, id run a mile and **** for an hour... off the bat ill hardly be able to pull down a mile but ill just walk the other and eventually ill work up to running 2 straight through or more. My weight goals isnt a huge change but it'll be a challenge thats for sure. Id like to go from 278 to 210-215, i know this can be done but its just the maintaining factor im worried about. So what do you all think? And if you managed to read all of this, THANK YOU :o

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Got a tredmill in the side bedroom. Your welcome too come out and use it if you want too.

3. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good plan. I would adjust the diet a bit in conjunction with the exersize and don't start out all gung-ho because it will just wipe you out and you will lose motivation pretty quick. Then your mom would be right, and nothing sucks more than people being right about your lack of perseverance. :mad: Goodluck :waytogo:

4. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Combine walking and running. Set realistic goals. I'd do some weight trainning. get a cheap set and bench and do the basics - bench press- squats - curls, etc. Eat right. Don't worry what people think. You' ve got to be motivated. Self-conscious also means conscious of self.

First of all you must be convinced you can acheive your goal.
    The conviction creates determination and the determination creates zeal. Good Luck

5. outlawtorn

Well paul i would but your nearly 20 miles away... id probably be better off going to a gym lol :crazy:

Ive never thought what i ate was to horrible... not making excuses for being fat right now but i honestly think i have a slow metabalism due to lack of exercise. My daily routine of eating is 2 pop-tarts in the morning for school 7pm... lunch is usually at 1pm and i go to wendys and have 2 jr smokey chedderburgers and water... and at night usually around 8ish i have supper.. which is whatever my mom cooks. I really dont eat alot at supper beacause my mom is a horrible cook :doah:

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I started my 20 Carbohydrates or less a day diet at the start of September. I had previously lost 90 +- pounds on it but gained it back to apathy.

ANYWAY

Currently I'm down 8 inches in pants size and went from 4X to 2X T shirts (3X over to cover my gun). Probably down 25-30 pounds now.

So anyway, here's the plan, get off your ass, 20 of them carbohydrates a day or less, and free run and mosh. That's all I do.

Go ****ing ape**** berserk, it's th eonly way to fly. Oh, and mosh so hard it hurts.

7. outlawtorn

I have a small bench that ive had forever that only goes up to 200 and ive long surpassed that mark :rolleyes: I also have some 20 and 40lb dumbells that ive never actually used lol :o I know i can reach my goal because ive almost already been there without giving it all i had to reach that marker. I know it wont be a cake walk and i know that if i get passed my mental block ill be at my goal weight within a year or less.

8. Resurrection_Joe

You could do it in 5 months

Don't go by weight though if you're putting on muscle

9. outlawtorn

Ive never really been a fan of the carb diet... yea it does work, and it works great but as soon as you stray from that diet you gain it straight back. I love moshing too :p: but me being broke atm doesnt really help... but believe me when static-x comes rolling into town here pretty soon ill be sweating my ass of with the rest of em :wink1:

10. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Do lighter weight for more reps

11. Resurrection_Joe

Then don't stray, duh

12. outlawtorn

Well that makes sence, and thats all i can do anyway lol :laugh: Well im for-sure picking up a treadmill tomm then... Im gonna get this going now or i never will.... oh and what do you guys think of stacker II? My buddy was saying that i should pick up some of that.

13. outlawtorn

Well i just cant see myself eating hamburgers without buns for the rest of my life :o My buddy tom is on the low carb diet and lost nearly 60 lbs... but he can no long stand to eat bread anymore, he says eating a bun on a hamburger makes him puke now.

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My wife had much the same problem.. she was very self conscious about her weight gain, and had a problem working out in front of people. I wasted a ton of money on gym memberships for her because she wouldn't use them. Even wasted 3 years with a trainer because of mental blocks, low self esteem and a penchant for emotional eating. Rather than work out at the gym, she'd sit there and just cry.

I am always on her side, and she wanted to change, but nothing happened until she cultivated a hatred for the way she looked and where she was stuck at.

Now she's got a trainer that kicks her ass when necessary, and she lifts to Pantera. Most important, when there's no one to train with, she does it on her own. Every day, she gets closer to her goals. That's all you need to do, just do something every day.

Maybe you're the type of person who runs on negative energy, instead of positive thinking.. just tap into whatever drives you, and then go and destroy your limitations. It's a fun way to live, trust me.

To answer your question.. get the treadmill, and then prove yourself to you.

Tom

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Treadmills work if you use them. Not much help if they sit in a corner. Try to get a healthrider if you can afford it, something that adjusts vertically to mimic hills. We picked one up for 50.00 at a garage sale. Try to find a good used unit if possible, people generally never use them then they sell 'em cheap.

Whatever you do to get healthy remember to stick with it, if you flub & miss a day or week always come back and pick it up again. When your burnt out just remember that The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday.

Your not alone, everybody has a people phobia of some kind. :waytogo:

16. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

IMHO, I'd go with an exercise bike. Running is high impact in the first place, whether or not you're overweight. Plus, you can choose how fast, and how much resistance you want. Plus, you can hear the tv better. ;)

If you're about losing weight, that 200 pound set is more than enough. Find SAFE exercises that work out a huge variety of muscles using low weight, and large numbers of reps.

I would NEVER take any supplements, unless it was recommended to me by someone I know, trust, and respect. Namely, my old weightlifting teacher who would rarely recommend protein supplements to certain people, and my old cross-country coach.

17. outlawtorn

Thanks for the advice everyone....you all have been helpfull and encouraging. The reason i opted for the treadmill over a bike is becuase i seem to push myself harder running then riding a bike :o

Oh and 4by i usually listen to pantera working out.... or actually anytime :wink1:

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much you looking too spend on a tredmill ??? My mother has a Tram Trimline that she hardly ever uses. I could ask her if she wants too sell it.

19. outlawtorn

well new ones are anywhere from 300-3000 and i probably go for something in the 600's :confused:

20. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

lose the weight and keep it off

i dont want to sound like a personal trainer or steer you towards a certain diet. but this is coming from a guy who weighed as much as 245 and today i weighed in at 187. first off cut empty calories out of your diet, i used to drink 1 or 2 2 liter bottles of soda every day, now 90 percent of my drink is water, the other 10 percent is beer but everybody has their vice. after that switch to try eating 3 balanced meals everyday, and by balanced i dont mean tofu and vegatables but look at what your eating, and if the box says 1 serving is 50 percent of your fat for the day then try cutting down on your fat intake on your other two meals. i used to eat everything that was put in front of me but try to stick with a certain calorie intake, i try to stay around 2500-3000 calories a day. i dont go to the gym but i walk at least 2 miles a day, lifting weights helps you get stronger, but think bulk weighs more than fat so first you need to trim down and the convert whats remaining into bulk. so if i were you i would try and lose some weight before you hit the weights. last thing i have to add is you have to do this for yourself, you cant think the reason you have not had a girlfriend for 2 years is your weight, you need to think you are doing it because you want to be healthier, and as I look into the mirror myself i still dont have the six pack i would like have but i feel 100 percent more confident in myself. at one point in time i wore a size 40x32 jeans and now i wear a 35x32 and i feel so much better about myself. once again i dont want to sound like i am judging what you do or how you do it, but i have found i am alot more happy with myself since i took control of my diet. :wink1: