Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Treasonous" British sailors

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Apr 5, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

and/or marines.

I'm curious why so many people take seriously the obviously propaganda statements these folks made for the Iranian TV.

I mean, if *I* was a hostage in that situation -- and yes, it's "hostage" -- and the Iranians were pressuring me to say I was in the wrong, heck, I'd tell them the moon was made of green cheese if it would get my ass, and those of my fourteen compatriots, home.

Besides, I'm quite sure that behind the camera there were guns pointed at these poor folk ... or worse -- I recall one being female, which I am quite sure
    made a stir among the Islamic fundamentalists that are the Iranian government... see where I'm going?

I treat those statements as made patently obviously under duress, and not treasonous.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

Yes, I know we've more threads on this topic, but they are veering into locking land =))

-- A

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I was listening to NPR today and they had one of the fathers of one of the sailors on and he was saying that what his son was saying was not words that he used in daily life.

He was pretty sure that it was all memorized.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Well, not so much wrong as misinformed.

Now, i have never been to SEAR(survival,escape,avoid capture,resist something i don't remember them all) But all our aircrew have, and they teach you to say nothing, and if you are forced to (everybody cracks, just a matter of time) tell nothing that will gain you favor with your captors, or discredit your country.

So yes, depending on what they said, the claims of treason could be valid.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Ask an active or former US military member about the "Code of Conduct" and you will understand.

Or just Google it.

And yes I would consider it treason, and I would never shack that morons hand or smile to him and all that crap. Not sure what the british point of view is on that subject though.

5. dremu

Judging from the news, which is worth the electrons it's printed on, they're of the same views.

Cool -- I learn something new every day. I'll go do some Googling and Wikipediaing.

Thanks RM!

-- A

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The Code of Conduct (CoC) is the legal guide for the behavior of military members who are captured by hostile forces.

Article I: I am an American, fighting in the armed forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
    Article II: I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.
    Article III: If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.
    Article IV: If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information nor take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.
    Article V: When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service, number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.
    Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

7. dremu

Well, I'd say then that , presuming the Brits have something similar, their people did poorly :(

In retrospect, I'm used to *civilians* being paraded about on foreign TV , reading nonsensical statements ... but they aren't uniformed armed forces.

What a fricken mess. I'm increasingly of the bomb-Iran mindset, especially odd since I'm a liberal by most of y'all's mindsets :D

-- A

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I think that military action is the only thing they will react to.

Think about the last years response by Israel when 2 of their soldiers were abducted and I think that Iran feared a similar response by the west if the crisis wasn't resolved fast.
    Last summer's Israeli-Hezbollah conflict may not have gone exactly the way Israel wanted, but I think they gained valuable intelligence as to Hezbollah's capability. They are more deeply rooted than most thought.
    Some day the masses will realise that Iran is the major factor when it comes to terrorism. They provide most of the funding, training and weapons. Albiet via russian/chinese systems sold around the world.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Interesting. I would like to see the British version of the code of conduct. Anyone got it?

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i guess i should have dug that up instead, that would have helped a lot more.:o

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Dug what up? I don't understand. Is the beer overwhelming my brain???

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the code of conduct

that would have explined it a lot better then my sorry attempt

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

OK. Must be the beer. It all makes sense now......

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have been trying for the last 10 minutes but I can't seem to locate the British version. I'm sure it is very close to ours but I would like to see it none the less........

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

damn drunk all the time sailors

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep I am killin me some New Castle right now and watching UFC Fight Night:D. I was about to look up the CoC then I saw it was posted.

It is in the ****ter at work right by the UCMJ articles so you can read them on the can:haha: .

Ira

17. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I think it is mostly the same anywhere isnt it?

Name, Rank, Serial Number? Or is that just in the movies? Forgive my ignorance I'm Canadian.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Atleast here that is right.

United States=New South Canuckistan:haha:

Disclaimer: This is just a joke so right wing warmongers dont go rattin' me out to the feds for treason for being disloyal to my country [flipoff]:D

Ira

19. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Awesome! Does that mean our dollar will be worth more then some lint and a couple of buttons?