Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tremec T5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need to find out information about a Tremec T5 transmission. Anyone know a thing about it? Trans came out of a 1990 Ford Mustang, but don't know much more than that. I need info asap please. I can't find much if any info that I feel I can trust.

My sister's World Class T5 in her 92 Mustang is wasted so I need to get a new trans or piece hers back together. My friend at work has this Tremec T5 for sale, but I need to know gear ratios. All the info I have found has pointed

Please help ASAP

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks but still no info about the Tremec T5 there. Just Tremec 3550s and BW T5s

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

My bad, skipped right over that Tremec part :doah:

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

6. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

If it came out of an old 90, it may be the 3550 - which, as I recall, is what was the hot swap for the world class t5's. Try looking at

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TR-3550.asp

They will show you that the 3550 has been replaced with a newer model(s), but I think it shows the ratios that could have been used.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

First of all it aint (OOOO He said "Ain't") a trimec. It is a Borg warner T5. Trimec did not buy out Borg warner till 97.
    2nd. All post 86 T5s are world class. World class refers to the sycro set up not the strength of the tranny.
    Third the 3550 was the stock tranny for 90 and up Fox Chassis stangs. 3550 tranny is stronger than the earlier year trannys they are rated for 300 Ft lbs torque.
    If you want/need a stronger tranny you need a T5z that were put in the Cobra Saleens Rated for 330 ft lbs
    Gear ratios are listed in Rayns post
    1st gear is 3.35 on all stock 3550s. FRP T5s had the 2.95 first. The 2.95 first gear is an aftermarket item as it does not meet smog regulations.
    Rest of the gear ratios between the two trannys are very close to each other.
    Aint nothin like a little good Ford tech in the garage.:thumb:

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well see, it says tremec right on it... I'm betting the BW was replaced with this unit. Never said it was the stock trans in the 90 ;)

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Git 'em Dale! GET 'EM!!!!! :haha:

FYI - Dale knows Mustang and Ford stuff......you might wanna pull up a seat and have a listen.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

LOL wasn't trying to get em just posting some Info hopfully Sled could use.

Also I did make a mistake (too many beers last night) about the 3550. It was never a stock trans in the 90. That is a Trimec # and is aftermarket.
    The BW in the 90 and up are the best stock T5s tho.

The Tremec 3550 is a very good trans better and stronger than T5.
    GRs are: 1st 3.27 2nd 1.98 3rd 1.38 4th 1.00 and a .68 OD

Hope this helps.

11. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

dont the w/c t5's also have the larger input bearing?? I know on the original t5, the bearing was way small, would wear out, allow the input shaft to wobble, would kill the input/main drive, and the cluster everytime. I always thought that the w/c was an improved desgin of this using the larger input bearing, but it still wasnt the strongest thing

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Most of the major changes between World Class and NWC were in the syncros and gears.
    The major changes in input bearings that i know of occured between the T4 and T5
    T5 have stronger tapered input bearings. Old T4s had ball bearings.

WC T5 have gears that ride on needle bearings and better 3 piece steel/fiber syncros. Counter gear shaft is supported by tapered bearings
    NWCs gears rode on the shaft and had one piece bronze syncros counter gear shaft supported by cylinderical bearings and bronze thrust washer.
    NWC used regular gear oil
    WC use Dex2 ATF

The T5 used in the Cobras had stronger tapered output bearing and steel bearing retainer.