Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trend in rim sizes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

This trend that has been happening with all the companies coming out with 17 and 20 inch rims, is it going to last? Do you think that the existing tires will start to come out with the larger sizes as well?

The reason I'm asking is because before the springtime I will be buying a wheel/tire combo and I know that I will be going 1 ton sometime in the future so it would be nice not to have to grind the calipers etc. to make 15's work, and my truck will also be my daily driver so the benefits of less sidewall sway would also be welcomed but I would hate to fork out the cash for a set of 17's only to find out in a year or so that no one is making tires for them.

Another thing I was wondering about is if a 17" rim will hold a bead as well as a 15" rim? That would be another factor that would be helpful in deciding /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sooo... what do you all think? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think it will last.

However, I think that as they muddy up the offerings (everything from 13" to 20" being stock now) you will find less available in each size. You can find just about anything you want in 15" right now (as an example) whereas I bet it's pretty hard to find 35x12.50R20's, if they are even made.

It's kind of an evolution, partly driven by looks, but probably also driven by technology. Back in the day, ALL the performance cars (just about) came with, by todays standards, skinny tires on 14" wheels, where now you'd be hard pressed to find anything smaller than 16" on a "performance" car.

I think I see what you are saying though...kind of like when VHS and Beta first came out. If you got the wrong one, in a few years, you were out of luck. With the newer sizes, who's to say what will survive and become truly popular. I think 16" is a pretty safe bet though, fairly common size, many applications, so it will probably still gain in popularity, and be around for quite awhile.

3. canucktruck

canucktruck Newbie

Pazz, the major tire manufacturers seem to be goin with the larger rim sizes. Goodyear is offering a 40" MT/R (ONLY for a 17" rim) and I know BFG is offering rubber for 17's It costs alot to develop new products, they wouldn't pursue it unless they intended to stick with it and make it pay off for them. I think you're pretty safe.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

These new larger wheels that especially weld has introduced are kind of the new thing with show trucks but I personally think they look funny. I prefer a deep rim and a 20x10 doesn't do it for me. I am a very picky person when It comes to a tire/wheel combo and I have always liked a decent amount of rubber rapped around the rim with lifted trucks and your not going to get that with a 33x12.50x20.
    I prefer 15's, 16's and 16.5's and my favorite wheel/tire combo is a 16.5x14weld with the 39.5x18 bogger or 35x16 bogger. The tires are flat across and not sucked in or sticking out like a balloon. I have seen a few big Irocks with 20" welds and it looks way to big, showy, and lowered trucks crossed with a 4x4's to me. I know some people think 16.5's are huge and nothing but show but to me 15's,16's and 16.5's are the classic sizes that will be around with plenty of tire selections for a long time to come and look the best on 4x4's. I will never put 20 inchers on a truck.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm with you bro.a guy at work has an 02 dodge 4x4 with 20's,the only thing missing is the lowering kit.it's a big truck but it looks weak. the spare is really funny,a 20 in. stamped steel rim. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Well I was never planning on using 20's. The combo that I had in mind when I posted this was 17x10 rims with 36x13.50x17 irocks then eventually going to 39.5x15.5x17 tsl's.(if they make em)

I've seen 35's with 16.5's and it looked fine to me, so I know that the 36's with 17's will still appeal to me.

16.5's are out for me because this truck will definitly be seeing some low air pressure, and like I said I like the thought of less sidewall sway when driving to work, mall etc. (and before anyone starts I know the iroks and tsl's won't be good DD tires but the city I live in is 8sq miles of pavement with hundreds of miles of mountains and lakes surrounding it. It see's more off road than on even though it's a DD. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

I just want to make sure that I won't have to buy new rims in a year again is all. Especially because the 17's will cost more than the 15's so it would be a hard one to swallow in the long run if I had to replace them with the less expensive rims.

And I think that I have started to see less and less of the 16's since the larger sizes have been coming out. This definitly makes me lean away from 16's.

7. boggerless

17's are cool,i don,t think they will ever stop making 16.s they are stock size on alot of newer 3/4 and 1 ton's. one question i have is why does a tire cost more for a larger rim size(16 instead of 15) when there is less rubber being used for the side wall?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All I can say is, look at some places, and see what options you have. Just plugging some numbers into tires.com, I see that a 35x12.5R15 comes in 5 different styles/brands, most expensive being $181, and the same size but with 17" rim is available in one tire/brand, for $229.

Obviously if you have a tire picked out already, (and a "specialty" one at that) you know what you are getting into I'm sure. However, don't forget, less sidewall means less flex, which will mean harsher ride. I can feel the difference in the way my BFG AT's ride with 10PSI more or less, and thats with a fairly large sidewall. 33x10.5R15

A stiff sidewall can't make up for less wheel diameter, but with a good sidewall, lean in corners will be greatly reduced.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with dyeager535, A good sidewall is what you want. With 35's or 36's you aren't going to keep sidewall flex to a minumim anyway. I know you wan't 17's and I was just making the point that I wouldn't run anything larger than a 16.5
    I would go with a 16" if you are worried about poping a bead. If it is still 6lug I would go with a 15". Don't worry about tire availability because I can almost guarrantee that 15"-16.5" will be around for a very long time if not forever. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    This trend that has been happening with all the companies coming out with 17 and 20 inch rims, is it going to last? Do you think that the existing tires will start to come out with the larger sizes as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

it will surely last. both people lookin for bling (ooo, purdy chrome!) and hardcore rockcrawler guys (no tire sidewall roll!) agree, big rims are where its at. Personally, I like 15" rimes myself, but thats just me.

not sure about older tires being released in bigger rim sizes, but any new tire that comes out will prolly support big rims from the get-go (like the irok).

j

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

15" is the most common size wheel with a safety bead..i think some 16s have it and i have no idea about 17s and safety beads...15" rims will NEVER go away..and neither will 16s, they have been around far too long..

12. jekbrown

17s have safety beads... dont they? thought for sure they did but Im not 100% sure.

j

13. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

17's have a safety bead too, just not as pronounced on the rim in some brands. When we were at the SEMA show this year either Nitto or Toyo had 40x18.5x22's on some rigs - including posion spyders new buggy. We actually saw quite a few sets of 26's on trucks and some 28's on display /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. boggerless

daammm,bigger than most car tires. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. boggerless

what do you guy's think?, in 5 years you can get spinners from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay I am a tire profesional (that is what my boss tells me at least) Here are some fun facts:

Stock 20" dodge wheels are not polished aluminum or chrome (it is a Shiny hubcap, look close next time).
    ALL whole size wheels (15, 16, 17, 18, ect) have a safety bead.
    NO half size wheels (14.5, 16.5, 19.5, ect) have a safety bead, NONE.
    The market for 16" and 17" wheels will stay. new trucks are coming with bigger brakes and need bigger wheels (H2, Dodge, and others)
    17" tires are going to become more and more available
    I do not like chrome.
    Nitto is offering the terra grapplers in 16, 18, 20, inch sizes (MUD and AT)
    BFG has an AT in a 26" wheel (why I don't know)
    BFG has a 35-1250-18 MT (again I don't know why)
    There are gm approved spinners that have the caddy emblem on them.
    I still do not like chrome.
    I do like steel wheels, big tires, big axles, big engines, and big trucks with no doors or tops.

I hope this can help and everybody gets my humor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif , I watch Andy Rooney often

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Stock 20" dodge wheels are not polished aluminum or chrome (it is a Shiny hubcap, look close next time).

[/ QUOTE ]
    coulda fooled me..ive done dodge 20s..they were chrome..

[ QUOTE ]
    ALL whole size wheels (15, 16, 17, 18, ect) have a safety bead.

[/ QUOTE ] but not all are created equally..
    [ QUOTE ]
    NO half size wheels (14.5, 16.5, 19.5, ect) have a safety bead, NONE.

[/ QUOTE ] this makes sense..
    [ QUOTE ]
    The market for 16" and 17" wheels will stay. new trucks are coming with bigger brakes and need bigger wheels (H2, Dodge, and others)
    17" tires are going to become more and more available

[/ QUOTE ]...also agreed, bigger brakes, wheels and tires are the new factory trend..ford for instance now uses 17s and 18s stock on f150s..
    [ QUOTE ]
    I do not like chrome.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [ QUOTE ]

There are gm approved spinners that have the caddy emblem on them.

[/ QUOTE ]-did not know this, have not seen them, got a link?? you have perked my interest..

[ QUOTE ]
    I do like steel wheels, big tires, big axles, big engines, and big trucks with no doors or tops.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jekbrown

17" rims might be the thing to have in a crawler... but interco doesnt make tires for em do they? seems like they stick to 15, 16, 16.5 and some 20s (irok!). dont think Id want an offroad rig that couldnt accept an interco tire. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well I would say they are here to stay. The larger rims have bocome the norm in desert racing so that sould tell Ya how they hold up and as far as side wall flex goes You can have to much some times. To Me a 35" tire with a 17" rim would work out the same a 33" tire with a 15" rim. I couldn't imagine a set of 44's on 15's but on 17-19's I could see it.

20. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Dont for get abought 16.5 hummer wheels cant beet them for airing down and you can get them for 25 to 200 a rim if recentered and the beed aint going to break loose. but no chrome unless you have them dipped but cutome centres with any thing you want nice.
    Earl