Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trespassing at the ocean?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Dec 11, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... my friend and I this Sunday were thinking of driving up the coast to take some pictures. She has a class and this would be for part of her final. Last time we did this some idiot told us that the beach by his home was private property. I said whatever and started to go out there anyhow. He said he called the cops on us when he saw us walking up and I basically said ok, and left... I knew the cops were not gonna respond for this since they have better things to but I didn't want to listen to this idiot rambling on following us about his precious beach. I have always been told if you are within 10' of the water it's public land... is this correct? I want to make sure because we're going back here again and if I see dude again I want to hand him my cell phone too call the cops and tell him how it really is so he can go inside and shut up... thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Do a search, I can't remember the technical aspects on this, but I do remember that those tree hugging Hollywood types that reside in Malibu have been whining about people on the beach behind their houses, but have been told that all beach is public beach. That's the way I seem to remember it, so tell the guy to go to the beach with ya so he can pound sand. Better yet, get the fawker's name and address and we can alert the media to this yahoo and his antics about keeping the public away from public lands.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I'm not sure, but I would check with the California Coastal Commission. A lot of laws have come into affect in the last few years.

4. ChevyCaGal

Funny like 10 seconds after I posted this a thing on the news said coming up they were gonna talk about this.... weird how that timing happened! But whatever they say I will post up in case there are others out there like me who are wondering. I hope they say it soon I need to get going...!!

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i think it's to the point to where the tide comes up. they can't own the ocean so as long as your up to where the highest point of the tide you're ok.

ARQ.

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I say "SCREW EM!"... Go to the beach and let him call the cops. When and IF the cops show up ask where the sign is that says "NO TRESSPASSING". After all, cops go to the beach too. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ok, heres how it is. you cant go above the mean(average) high tide line. so generally just go at low tide and stay on the wet sand and your fine, but you an go up as far as the seaweed and drift wood is pushed up on the beach from the waves. being on the beach is ok. its getting to the beach that they get you on. if you have to walk accross the dry sand above the mean high tide line then you are tresspassing. so you need to find a place where you can acess the beach with out going onto private property. or find a cool guy who will let you walk thru his yard to get down on the sand( good luck with that!!) i know this cuz we are the a$$ holes that wont let people get to the beach. it really dosnt bother us but there are fellow oastal real estate owners that will chase folks off the beach when their boats and jet skis break down. they have no right to do it, but whos going to argue with an angry, yelling property owner. so yeah, i hope you find a way to do it leagally, just to piss the rich fawker off!!

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

ducttape is right...

Kinda like owning a river.. some people's families that owned land before washington was a state, actually own part of the river... not the water going through it but the river sides, and bottom.. you cant anchor up or drop a line to the bottom.. but you can float through and fish.... really twisted.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Find a way to the beach like ducttape114 told ya. Then if this prickass calls the cops on ya, try to get him for harrassment !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya shoulda grabed your 9'0" and paddled out...
    Yelling at him, well you can just come out here and make me leave!
    Hang ten brah!

Damn locals. They're all the same huh.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Steph
    Beach property is very expensive, people that usually own it will put up signs saying No Trepassing on the beach and fence off the property, now if there is none of these, the owner has no right to harass you about being on his property, for one, you didn't know (No signs) and there was nothing blocking you from going onto the beach (Fences and walls) beaches are usually owned by the government or City and County, which ever is which, but if some owner comes out and bothers you about being on his or hers property, hey just call the cops, they'll help figure out whats what, cause, if you own something PROVE IT!, but on the other hand, just make sure you're about 100 yards away from his house, he might think you're pulling something.
    How do I know all this.
    Theres a property called Allan Davis, it is blocked by boulders, concrete pillars and there are signs that say "No Trespassing, two hints that will tell you to keep out.
    This property has two beach fronts on opposite sides of each other and the property is huge.
    I hope this helps if you're confronted by Mr. Dickhead /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif again.
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. ShinnyHelmet

ShinnyHelmet Registered Member

13. ChevyCaGal

Thanks! This area is up by Mendocino. We never have to access it though anything other then a walkway that is marked as a public one. It's about 20 minute walk to this guys home from there. His house sits I'd say 700-800 feet from the water. It's not like we were knocking on his back door asking to use his bathroom. We walked there to look at this rocky area that some tide pools form because it makes for some awesome photos is all. Anyhow the news didn't say what I expected them too. Basically that beaches are public and that there is plenty of access to them so use that access to get there.... but what you guy told me helps a lot. I can understand not wanting people up in his yard, but to not be able to go by his place and by the water is stupid. Anyhow if he does show up, then I can fully tell him to go sit on it... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Mendocino huh? Probably afraid y'all are feds checking to see who all is into "agriculture" in that area.

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Mendocino. LOL those people are a bunch of moron hippys. If you want to go to a decent area try McKariker Beach about 5 miles north of FT. Bragg. It's got some good tide pools and such (I got a lot of abalone there growing up). Or if you want to find a good sandy beach try Usaw Beach. It's about half way between Westport and Legget off of HY 1 and back in about another 7 miles, probably another 30-45 minutes north of Ft. Bragg.

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sorry Bubba but you have to go inland about another 20 miles before you start to see that stuff. Trust me I know I went to high school there.

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Kommunist Kalifornia problem..............Oregon beaches are 100% open access to the public. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That must suck..............