Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trick flow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

anyone here running a trick flow TBI spacer or another 1" spacer. if so, did you use the throttle bracket spacer ? i dont have mine spaced up, and i cant get the TV cable right, tranny shifts sluggish. anyhow, does anyone have pics how its installed, it doesnt look like what i got in the box will work. thanks

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been told to be careful about those spacers as the TV cable will no longer travel through the correct arch. The spacer changes the geometry that the cable needs to move correctly.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont have mine spaced up, and i cant get the TV cable right, tranny shifts sluggish.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is how many 700R4's get burned up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A 700R4 MUST have the TV cable working properly or it will self destruct quickly. Look around over at www.700r4.com they have some good instructions on how to adjust the TV cable. If you can't get it to shift correctly after adjusting, I recommend removing the throttle body spacer until you can find the correct bracket, so you don't end up with a $1,500 tranny repair bill. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have one...put it in about 2 years ago. It's a TD Performance (I think /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) aluminum spacer I got from Summit. Putting the spacer in was cake...didn't have to disconnect fuel lines or anything, just the 3 bolts, gasket, etc. As for the throttle bracket...yes, you'll need to raise it. There's that bracket that holds the throttle and tv cable. It's connected to the intake manifold with 2 (or 3..it's been a while) bolts. The kit you got should have some aluminum bushings. You need to unbolt the throttle bracket from the intake manifold (kinda a pain to get back there) and put those spacers between the intake and throttle bracket. Then, bolt down with newly supplied bolts. Once that's done, you'll still need to adjust your TV cable, but your throttle will be right (I started my truck after installing the spacer and not lifting the bracket, and idle speed was a couple hundred RPM's higher...so you need to lift the bracket). To adjust TV cable, do method described in Haynes. In short: push tab on back of throttle bracket and cycle to full-throttle and back. In more detail: Link 1 Link 2

Oh yeah. Also attached to the throttle bracket is the cruise control module thingy. In order to raise the bracket, I think I had to take out one of the bolts that mounts the CC. So, it's still connected, but not as solidly as before. You can probably make up a bracket pretty easily to allow you to use the other bolt. (That may not make any sense, but you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there). My cruise doesn't work too well anyway, so I wasn't too worried about not hooking it up again.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys. i've looked up alot on the TV cable and know how important it is to function correctly. i'll see if i can get those bushings to work, if not i'll pull the spacer out. thanks again.