Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trick to align rear of hood?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JST12, Oct 15, 2001.

1. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally got around to installing the hood on my resto this weekend. The rear corners of the hood will not lay flat with the cowl unless I push down on the hood near the back. When I push down, the rear of the hood travels down about a half inch to the proper position. I have seen this on other older vehicles. Since the hood laid flat before, and I am using all the same hardware, there must be a trick to setting this position. There doesn't appear to be enough play in the bolt holes to lower the hinges enough to make a difference. Any thoughts? Thanks, JT

2. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I have this problem also with mine. Anyone able to offer any advice???

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Did you replace the fenders too? Also does the hood line up perfect in the front? My 72 did that for a while and I took the spring off and put a different set on. If you try that let me know and I will tell you a good way to get the springs off.

John

PS. wish I could help more but I found a cure accidently, just wish I knew what I did.

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

4. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

ChevyRacing, the fenders are the original ones, but were removed early in the resto (last year) and re-installed a couple months ago. I am now wondering if the hinge springs are too tight from sitting compressed for a year. Maybe they will relax over time and let the hood close better. I see you said that your hood got better by itself. Was it a slow improvement over time (as springs relaxed)? And yes, tell me how to get the springs off and on. Thanks, JT

5. chevyracing

The best way I found to get the springs off is to open the hood so they are extended fully and put small bolts between the coils. SLOWLY close the hood as far as you can so you can reach the springs and remove them. I put a set I had on my 69 that I rolled onto my 72. To install the new ones put them in a vice and bend them over and do the same method. Kind of primative but it does work.

John

6. chevyracing

I forgot to tell you another thing I made that works. I took a piece of 2 inch square tubing about 5 feet long and welded nuts onto it so the line up with where the hood bolts would go through the hinges. Bolted them down through the hing and had a buddy pull the tubing down slowly like he was closing the hood until the springs were loose using the bolt between the coil method. That worked great. I am going to try and train Mudnutt how to do that one of these days if I can get him from emptying out all my beer cans into his gut long enough. LOL

7. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

My 71 Jimmy had the same problem on the pass side. I determined that the hinge itself was worn, and the rivets were slopping around in the hole. I didn't replace the spring, a new one may have helped, but the hinge was definitely worn out.
    JB