Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tricky dual exaust setup!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88GLAZER, Oct 7, 2003.

1. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have seen a K5 featured in an offroad magazine about 1-2 years ago that had duals run out the before the rear tire through the quarter panel LOOKED BADAZZ anyone know how it could be done?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

cut holes in the panels and run the exhaust through..its easier on k5s than trucks because k5s have the gas tank behind the rear axle, not on the side, IIRC

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why would you do that? The heat from the pipes that close to the body would surely make them rust.

4. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

yeah, but getting it there (passed the frame) It would have to cross the frame some how that is what I was wondering

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not callin ya out or nuthin but heat causes rust??? Just make sure when you cut your holes you leave room for exhaust movement unless you're plannin on puttin a bracket just inside the body panel. Just my .02 worth. Good luck to ya.

Allan

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Heat certainly causes rust, and there's a lot of moisture that comes out a tailpipe too. My farmer friends seem to know exactly what it takes to make a truck last, and they keep their tailpipes a few inches below the body to keep the heat from rusting their bedsides.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Heat certainly causes rust, and there's a lot of moisture that comes out a tailpipe too. My farmer friends seem to know exactly what it takes to make a truck last, and they keep their tailpipes a few inches below the body to keep the heat from rusting their bedsides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man they must import all those rust free truck in AZ from Wisconsin then. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I dont buy it. Rust forms when the paint that protects it fails. Now the heat burning the paint off I could buy but the pipe would have to be pointed directly at the pannel. It hasn't rotted the sides of my 75 that has rattle can paint on them and I regularly have to bend the pipes back down. It hasn't melted the plastic bumpers off my old supra in 13 years or my wifes plastic bumpered Honda. If the heat was enough to cause the rust it sure would melt them plastic bumpers off. Keep the paint waxed and fix the chips and it won't rust.

8. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

You Probably need to use fenderwell headers, but that would limit tire size. The only other thing i can think of would be to use a "U" bend to go around the frame.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Now the heat burning the paint off I could buy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. And if you have a lot of ricers around that like to put the tips on their exhaust that face up, you'll also see how badly the exhaust mars the paint of the vehicle.

No fan of exhaust passing through sheetmetal here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif