Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tried Search/Locker Options for 14B FF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DougK20, Apr 18, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

What do you run, how much did you pay, and where did you get it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

No welding please. That's the reason I'm in this mess... Thanks!

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get the detroit $325.00 install it yourself or I can help you with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, detroit it.

j

4. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Hey Twisted, you ARE still around! I love the Logo! See ya tomorrow at the tech inspection/barbeque. I'm still not rollin' yet. I was asking the question because a Detroit for my s/f is $650! I could upgrade to a FF and install a Detroit for that. The rig is at my shop in Boise, forklifts and all. Install would be cake. Perhaps it could be a club training seminar? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Now, where to get the parts!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You only really have 2 options that I know of. The Detroit, and Welding the spider.

6. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I called Randy's Ring and Pinion and they say they have full spools on order for the 14boltff. They quoted me a price of $230. Im game.

jason

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard that the company that is supposed to produce the spools has never produced one, and isn't planning on it. Randy's might have them on order for awhile.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is there really any other option then a Detroit Locker ??? I think not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not if you want to do it right anyways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there really any other option then a Detroit Locker ??? I think not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not if you want to do it right anyways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, well I think that is an alternitive to 50 billion exclamation marks- I'm thinkin one or two will do. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there really any other option then a Detroit Locker ??? I think not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not if you want to do it right anyways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jethrolocker. It's right, it works and non-believers have not a clue.

11. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

there is a Lock-right locker too. Its the lunch box style but the carrier on 14 bolts are so strong I dont know if it could break. Im sure someone in here has but Im sure someone here has detonated a detroit as well.

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    there is a Lock-right locker too. Its the lunch box style but the carrier on 14 bolts are so strong I dont know if it could break. Im sure someone in here has but Im sure someone here has detonated a detroit as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason the detroit is so cheap is that it is a "lunch box" style also, because the carrier is so strong /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

In July there should be T-Locker available for 14-bolt FF from Tibus Off-Road.Something like this http://www.killeraxles.com/html/locker.html /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Compared to Detroit,it's very expensive,$850 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I'm probably going to get Detroit for my 14-bolt FF,but my only concern is how K5 will handel on icy roads.Because here roads are almost half a year covered with ice.And because my Chevy is daily driver.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well it will be 100% predictable

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have heard of spools and lock-rite's for a 14bolt, but I have yet to see either of them.
    How did welding it get you in this mess? How did you weld it up? Did you do like the article in the tech section shows and gap fill the spiders, or did you weld it solid?
    Mine is welded solid and I love it!

16. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Detroit is going in tonight!!!