Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tried to put the body back on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SilverJim, Nov 27, 2000.

1. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

So I tried to put the body back on the frame, but the new t-case sat too high, and the valve covers were hitting the firewall, so I had Summit overnight a 3" body lift...so hopefully this well rectify the situation...but here's my question: The stock t-case was a Dana 20 (any other first genners have one of those?) so I swapped the the tranny/t-case adapter and t-case to a 205. Why did the 205 hit the body? The block is a 502 and it is only the valve covers that are causing the problem...anybody have any ideas? I didn't want to go with the body lift, but I had no choice. (The oil pan is already too close to the front crossmember to lower the transfer case.) Oh well, it isn't really a huge problem anyway...
    Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great (mine consisted of an ailment competition amongst the old people...man, that is appetizing)
    Have a good one.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

2. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

...Just finished putting the body lift on, everything fits fine now, and I'm actually a little excited about the body lift...it looks like it will make it easier to clean and work on the truck from the underside...now to that damn wiring harness...

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

hey be careful!!!! with a 3" body lift i believe you will need a longer steering shaft from the column to the box,,,these often bind while turning and can break off!!!just make sure you check it out before you romp it down the road
    have fun and good luck!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

trust me...it's going to be a good while before i have any trouble with the steering shaft binding whilst I'm driving it...it's just a body on the frame (plus doors!)

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hey SilverJim? On a scale of 1 to 10, How difficult was the install of the body lift? And did they give you any instructions? Thanks, Blink

6. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

It was a 1 for me, BUT, I started with all new body mounts bolts, etc. I was literally putting a freshly painted body back on to a freshly Line-Xed frame. It would have been a pain in booty if I had had to loosen all the body mounts at the time. It is more difficult to put it on a truck already mounted and driveable because of the following reasons: you're bolts are probably rusty and hard to loosen, crap will fall all over your face and in your eyes, you have to deal with the any wiring, perhaps extend the gas tank filler neck, the body will be heavier with seats, etc. in it, you'll have to fix any clutch/accelerator linkage problems, and you'll have to grind off any bolts that were welded to the body at the factory. But body lifts are done all the time, and they're not that big of a deal. BTW, where do you go to school (I saw you were a student). I go to Truman State in MO (yee haw).

7. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Where are the pics? I have a first gen blazer myself.I have a body lift myself. It does make it easier to reach those previously tight spots. Eric, I would give the body lift about a 3, for reasons silver stated. Mine was a little tougher, because the prior owner welded new floor pans over the body mount bolt hole. So I had to figure out exactly where the hole was, then cut a hole to access the bolt head. I'm going to be putting one in on my sister in laws blazer next month.

[​IMG]

8. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

SilverJim
    Where did you buy your new body mount bolts and are they exspensive.
    Also is Summit reasonably priced on the 3" body lift.
    I am looking to install one on mine.\
    Blazin

9. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Blazin72 - I put a 3" bodylift on my blazer about 4 months ago and the bolts come with the kit. Summit is where I got mine from and I went ahead and got all new ES body mounts too. The stock rubber ones were completely hashed, so I had to. There are a couple other things to consider as well:

the bumpers will not be in the same place and there is no kit to relocate them. You'll have to fabricate some way to lift your bumpers. I'm just going to build some new ones.

The fan shroud will have to be cut, trimmed or relocated. I trimmed mine and it works fine.

The steering shaft does have enough slip in the length of it, but you'll have to drill out these nylon pins to get it to slip. I pulled mine all the way out and completely rebuilt it and it "feels" the road a lot better than it used to.

All in all, it's a pretty simple project, but it can be a real pain because of how old our blazers are. Some of the bolts snapped and some I had to break out the grinder to cut off from the bottom. The hardest ones for me to get out were the ones in the floorboards 'cause you have to drill the welds that are in the recess out and then beat them out from the bottom with a hammer. ALL of the ones inside the truck had a little tack weld on them that had to be ground off.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

10. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

The 3" body lift kit was $76.90 including shipping, but that doesn't include the body mounts which I figure one might as well replace while under there. (It's like taking a shower and putting on dirty underwear) At Summit, the part number is PRA-PA-573.

11. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I forgot that the shifter linkage needs to be lengthened, but you have a 4-spd so it really doesn't matter to you, but you may have to enlarge the shifter holes for your t-case and tranny. Just check it out before you start down the road.

It sounds like you've got one hell of a project going, get us some pics of the buildup so we can tell you how good of a job you're doing.

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

1HIHUM, Is it O.K. if I bring my Blazer over and you could put the body lift on for me......j/k I wanted to ether get the 1" or 2" body lift not to sure on which one to get! I don't have a job any more (Thanks to the city of Fremont) so I have no MONEY plus Christmas time is here. I am screwed for awhile.....Merry Christmas to me, Blink

13. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I'll work on getting those pics up...I'll have to see if I can borrow a digital camera from my school, i'm pretty sure we can check them out for free. Finals are coming up in a week from tomorrow...but I only have two! That means lots of free time to sit next to the propane heater in my garage and cuss at the wiring harness.
    Adam