Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trim removal

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, May 9, 2001.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I want to pull the exterior trim off of my 69 CST and some of it has screws, some has rivets and some has nothing. I was curious what was the easiest way to get the rivets out.

2. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Most likely a drill, but since I have not done this I can't say for sure.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Sorry to steel your post but it is on the same topic. How do you remove the ones that have no "external" means of attachment (other than having them get ripped of by brush, which has happened to 2 on the right side)?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I took one side off with the top when I foolishly tried remove the top by myself. I did the other side with brush like Triaged. Then I sanded the area around the holes, gave them a whack or two with a ball hammer and covered 'em with body filler and sanded to shape. No more trim to accidentally rip off and no holes to fill with water.

That's because I'm the devil.

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Triaged...get outta my post, just kidding. I wanted to pull em opff and fill in the holes for a cleaner look.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Uh, that didn't answer my question. How did you take them off? I need to take them off before the rest of them get ripped off.

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Well I havent pulled em all yet... thats why i asked here. The ones that have no rivets or anything are just held on by clips like most trim back then. You can pull em off easily without damaging the trim. As for the rivets i am just gonna drill em out and fill the holes. Maybe this will help answer your question. I will let you know how it goes if you want.

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Triaged, are you talking about emblems like the "8-350" emblems and the "K/5 Blazer" emblems? Those are held on by sheetmetal hat nuts from the inside. They can be removed by using a wrench to remove those nuts. The K/5 emblems require removing the wheel well liner and loosening the fender so you can access them from the back...

9. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

Kinda sounds like you might be talking about the trim pieces that run along the lower belt line all the way from front to back. They are held on by some funky spring loaded do-dads that are a real pain. First drill the rivets out. on the door trim, open the door and look for an acorn nut on a stud coming through the edge of the door where the skin is rolled over. When you get all these fasteners out of the way, the trim may be loose enough that you can spin it. If so it will likely pop off. If not then protect your paint and lightly pry the trim at each spring clip location. This will damage the clips but they are not reusable in most cases anyway. Hope this helps.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. That was what I was looking for. I will remove them before my next trip.

11. olbluebeast

olbluebeast Registered Member

just drill the center of the rivets. if you are careful on the emblems you can get behind them from the front with a putty knife and just break them off. then bondo the heck out of them and sando whamo, custom truck. it also llooks best when the stick on moulding is pulled off, and the billet alluminum piece on the rear gate between the taillights is taken away, although the holes from the clips here are a bit larger to fill..

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just lost one more piece of trim but this time to a rock. At this rate I might not have to take any of them off! 4 down and just a few more to go!