Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trimmed Fender Edges

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russ, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Has anyone had any issues with the cut edges after trimming your fenders. My only concern with trimming has been the sheetmetal edges, and I have not really come up with any good solutions. I am at the point where I am going to have to do some trimming before I tear up my new tires any worse than I already have. I have a couple of young kids that like to climb around on the Blazer and those sharp edges concern me. So, if anybody has figured out a great solution for covering that edge, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Russ

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I remember somebody used door edge guards, I have seen they sell them in in all kinds of lenghts. You just need to use some better glue than what they already come with, maybe a little silicone of some kind would work.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Door edge guard will work to a point. Itll keep little fingers from getting cut but whenever you hit the fender w/ the tire youll most likely pull them off and have to replace them.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Take a file and run it over the edge.

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Sand the edge with some sand paper. It knocks the sharp edge down.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not trim the fenders maybe 1/2"=3/4" less than you originally intender, and roll the edges in with a hammer and block of wood??would probably make it easier to make the wheel opening look correctly proportioned again..just my .02

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why not trim the fenders maybe 1/2"=3/4" less than you originally intender, and roll the edges in with a hammer and block of wood??would probably make it easier to make the wheel opening look correctly proportioned again..just my .02

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the trick way to do it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. But it is alot harder than it sounds to do and make look right.

8. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

When I trimmed my fronts, I left about 1/4 inch more than where I wanted to cut. I used vise grips with 3" long by 1/2 wide flat stock welded to them to fold the extra 1/4 inch back to form a fender lip. when I got to the "curvy" part near the bottom I used regular vise grips to fold back. I finished it up with a body hammer and dolly. Came out pretty good.

9. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I thought about trying to roll the edge. I am even considering welding a lip back on, but body shop skills are not my strong area. I will probably give them both a shot though and see how it turns out.

Russ

10. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I welded lips back on .. out of 12 gauge... came out awesome and really made the fender edge strong...
    used "easygrind" mig wire made especially for bodywork...
    cam

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree with 84... take the time and do some detailed work with a file. Thats what I did to mine and you'd have to be trying to cut urself to break skin on mine. I considered other options, but didnt wanna trap water on the lip, didnt wanna spend any $, and didnt want it to look lame. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j