Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trimming fenders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Sep 28, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

ok so i orderdered a set of 37x13.50 mud grapplers for my sub. :saweet: they havent come yet though. :frown1: anyways, i was wondering if i would need to do any fender trimming and how much would i need to do. the truck has a six inch lift. :confused: i read the tech article on fender trimming but i just wanted some advice. Also, what would be the best way to after trimming the fenders make it look factory or "neat"?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re drill the perch to move the axle forward a 1inch. With a 15x8 and a 3.5 back space it might clear.....it will be tight on full compression if your springs flex.

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

None I would say if you move the front axle, I have a 3/4 ton Sub, 6 inch lift in the front 7 in the rear, front axle moved forward 1 1/2 inches, running 37 inch Boggers.

I have only heard the tire hit once and that was in a reverse with the wheel cut hard and going fast out of ditch. Even then it was only a touch.

Before I moved the axle it did touch the rear of the front fender openings during hard compression.

4. 88-3/4t-bad boy

i think i have 4.5 backspacing? i also would feel alot more confident doing the trimming. i mean after all the sub already looks like cow dung right now. so one little oopsy wouldnt hurt it. do you have to cut into the fender or can you get away with just sawing off the 1" of free space around the trim then removing the trim? I'm saving up for some cut out fenders so the next tires i get can be some 39's. oh, or can i just get some zero-rates to fix the prob?

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Yep get a set of zero rates.

6. 88-3/4t-bad boy

alrighty. what about the driveshaft though. i already cut that for the clearance. would i have to do anything else or should it extend out and reach? and the steering arm is going to be alright. right?

7. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

All I had to do with the steering arm was to adjust it. I forgot about the drive shaft. Mine should be lengthened there is no doubt. I will take care of that once the D60 and doubler are put in.

But to answer the question, yes the driveshaft most likely will need to be retubed.

So fender trimming might be a better option in your case.

8. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

did you get your kit on already?? hows it flex?? i didnt have to cut my d-shaft i broke in my new springs and the d-shaft finally reached!!

9. 88-3/4t-bad boy

yeah i knew the fender trimming would be better. or at least a one inch body lift. or both.

10. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Just do all of it, you will end up doing it anyway!:D It never ends.

11. 88-3/4t-bad boy

yeah. i know what you mean. my dream rig is really far away. but until i get my job it will be here. a street legal, bad ass, 49" tokin, chopped sub. but right now its just my pos and trying to make it functional. and it hasnt been easy.

12. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

No matter how much money or how many parts you have, you can still only tighten one bolt at a time.

13. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

how big are you gonna have it??? do u wanna crush cars??LOL

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I have 4" springs on my crew cab on 37" hummer radials and I will rub the back part of the fender sometimes. Although I wasnt "trying" to flex it out as its my desert truck that I use when to haul my bike around, but Ill drive through some fairly rough areas sometimes and occassionally Ill get a little familiar "rrrrooooooommmmmmpppp" from the tire contacting the fender. But this actually is with some slight trimming, I took a few inches off the front part of the fender lip and loped it clean parallel with the ground. And slightly opened up the back part of the fender to the inner fender well. I dont think I have pics but let me see if I can draw something up real quickly......

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim its nice to see you pop in here every once in a while, you have givin me lots of good advice in the past and your knowledge is appreciated. :wink1: Ok thats all, Im done kissin your ass....:haha:

16. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ok here you go, this is where I trimmed my fenders. Granted these are some hard ass 4" procomp springs but they came off my blazer so the weight of the crew cab definitely makes them flex easier. I only trimmed the front part about halfway up the front bumper (I could have went higher) but I wanted to leave the stock bumper on.
    [​IMG]

17. 88-3/4t-bad boy

well. i can do that. thanks for the help. one last question. when i order the 1" body lift should i also buy the body mounts? my sub has been sitting out for about 6 years.

18. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

I have 4 inch springs and trimed the fenders and I fit 39.5's. The top of the fender was cut up to the inner-fender, and I went a little "WACKO" on the sides but it worked. No drive shaft issues either.

[​IMG]

19. 88-3/4t-bad boy

that is freakin crazy! :eek1: i cant wait till i get a d60 and 14ff. then i can run some 42's and have some fun. i was going to put 42's on it with the d44 by adding a 3" body lift. then i thought to myself. this is a wheeler. do cut out fenders replace the inner fender after trimming? is that what they are for? and with all that trimming did you replace the inner fenders?

20. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

No they do not replace the inner fenders, mine are the factory ones and all after market cut outs do is CLEAN up your cuts, so you have an "almost factory look" atleast thats my take on it.