Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trimming Fenders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock44k5, Jun 13, 2003.

1. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Im getting ready to trim the fenders on my '79 this weekend. Is there anyone who has done this that may have some pointers? Im not taking much off, I have plenty of height to the top of the fender, but I need to make them wider. They weren't made for 44's were they. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Anyway, Im going to be using a sawzall, but was just wondering what people did to make them look even and such. Thanks alot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mudtruck

mudtruck Registered Member

Use a roll of 3/4 masking tape to lay out your cuts. This way you can change it if need be before you make your cut. All you should need to do is trim the front and back of the fender. I took the masking tape and came off the body line that runs around the edge of the fender and just contiued this straight till i ran out of fender. When i was done i had just two little triangles and i have yet to hit the fenders on my 77. Thats with 4" of lift and 39.5 swampers. Good luck and if you make a mistake like i did the first time there are lots of fenders out there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Go to the back of the fender, at the bottom, measure 5" fwd of that. Mark it. Now run a piece of tape from that mark to the top of the wheel arch. Cut away! BTW if you do this w/ the inners in place the saws-all blade will hit. I used a cut-off wheel in places where the blade would have gotten snaged. Hack the front side of the fender even w/ the bottom of the inner.
    Steeve's fender trim article shows how to make it look nice.

4. bigblock44k5

thanks alot guys. where is that fender trim article?

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks alot guys. where is that fender trim article?

[/ QUOTE ]

the second link in my sig is how I did it....

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i used a sawzall and a grinder w/ cut off wheel. Some places the sawzall just cant get at very well. As far as making it even, its not to hard. On the rear side of the front fenders, I would just figure out where I wanted the cut to start at the top, mark it... and then measure however far back from the bottom edge i want to cut and mark that... masking tape between the 2 marks and u have a nice straight line that is easily replicated on the other side of the rig. Are mine EXACTLY even to 1/64"? prolly not... but then again when do you see both fenders simultaneously? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif pics are in my webshots.

j

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I took a big sheet of cardboard, taped it to the wheelwell and traced out the shape of the original opening from the inside. Then I took it off and cut it out so there was a fender shaped peice cut out of it. Taped it back on and then drew in pencil where I wanted the cut. Took it off again, cut at the line, taped it back on again and traced with a sharpie where I wanted the cut to be. Just flip the template over to use on the other side and they'll be nice and even. You'll need to repeat the process twice, once for the fronts, once for the rears./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

9. bigblock44k5

thanks alot guys, i just finished cutting the front out(4 sawzal blades later). looks pretty damn good if i say so myself. im glad the rear will be alot easier than the front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you do any real 4 wheeling it doesn't need to be even or perfectly cut, chances are it will get "adjusted" out on the trail.

I used a sawzall, cut-off wheel, even tin snips in places. The first time I trimmed I used tape and measurements, but after trail "adjustments" I decided it wasn't worth all the time and just used a pen and eyeballed the cut line. I found it easier to cut upwards with the sawzall as far as straighter lines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

aviation snips all the way, my baby likes it slow and steady, then take a grinder or DA and smooth it out, go to Pep Boys and get there big roll of black rubber "or Chrome" door edge molding for $10.00.

I did this in 5 minutes on the morning of paint day...while pushing it out of the driveway she decided to start rubbing /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]

And yes more is on the way, so I guess I will just carry my 18volt cordless sawzaz and my 5 extra batteries when I take her wheelin, also comes in handy for the 2 73-75 windshield frames I am snatching up next week....guess what dads 77 is getting /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol! i dont think Ive seen a rig that needed a rollcage anymore than that one does... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I second that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Just got done trimming my fenders about a week ago. I started out using a sawzall also but I ended up changing to a jigsaw with metal blades. It works alot better than the sawzall did in the corners. If you take your time and get your taping right, you won't even have to play with the grinder.

15. bigblock44k5

i used a sawzal and a 6 inch blade all the way, came out great. it cut the outer and iner fender at the same time.

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status