Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trimming for a Din style

Discussion in 'Audio' started by TheBlazerKid, May 20, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Is it hard to cut the dash to fit a din style reciever from a shaft style. I am going to need to do this soon so any help will be appreciated

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Take the dash off. Trace the shape of your can on it and cut it out. Put the dash back on and by using a scratch awl, trace that opening on the metal. Take the dash back off. And now here is the trick: Instead of cutting the metal out completely, use something like a cutoff wheel and just make 4 horizontal cuts. On all 4 corners. Then just bend the left and right pieces of metal back out of the way. Put your dash back on and put the can in and bend the tabs down. If you want it to look nice, I usually use a 1/4 trim ring between the can and the dash.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Metra makes a dash kit that will help you cut thedash and comes with a trim peice that covers the rest of the area after you have cut it.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

4. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

metra huh, cool. you dont happen to know a phone number address e-mail or website do you?

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Any Compitenet stereo shop.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option if you also need to upgrade/renovate your brushed aluminum dash inlay (IF you have the brushed aluminum) Cheyenne Pickup Parts sells a kit for $58.95 to replace all the old scratched brushed aluminum inlay. Used it on mine, looks great.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I pulled the stock out, placed the din where it was, drew the line and used an angle grinder to cut it out. It was easy and painless....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

8. Nomorerust

Nomorerust Registered Member

Just installed one last evening.If you have access to a dremel tool use it.I did and it turned out perfect.It's very simple.