Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trip ALL the way down BAJA...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by marv_springer, Jun 17, 2005.

1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've always wanted to do this..... drive, camp, 4 wheel all the way down to Cabo San Lucas.

Any body done it? Anybody interested sometime next year? :ears:

Marv

2. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Baja

Hey, get ready for a great trip. I have a beach house 35 miles south of San Felipe and have traveled all over the northern half of Baja. I have not gone as far as Cabo however. You can go down the paved main hwy, or take some really cool dirt/rock roads along the eastern side of the Baja coast. But, be prepared to be selfsufficient! And, if you take the road less traveled, two vehicles is recommended. A great trip would be to cross the border at Mexicali, drive the pavement to San Felipe, then continue south towards Puertocitos. After that, the road becomes graded desert rock. Another 4 hours gets you to Gonzaga Bay and it is a spectacular drive. After Gonzaga, continue south past Coco's Corner back out to the pavement. Then, further south, take the road into Baja De Los Angeles (LA Bay). From there, you can continue south on a very primitive dirt track that is often used in the Baja Races. For more info, "drofdar@comcast.net"

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have heard of it being done. You'd better bring a TON of $$ for fuel as it is VERY expensive down there. Also, once you get into "real" Mexico, you'd better be traveling with a group and have a couple guns (and people that aren't afraid to use it). My dad lives approx. 40 min. east of Puerto Vallarta. He lives in what I consider "real" Mexico. Once you get out into the hills, it's pretty much anything goes. The only rule is that there are no rules.

That said...If I'm all healed up and my blazer is done, I'm game! :D :thumb:

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I would definitely try to make it, but it would have to work out with school and work.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uh, I'm not sure crossing the border with a firearm is the smartest thing, better look into that before you do it... :blush:

6. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna try next nov. for baja 1000

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

IIRC, in your vehicle is fine as long as it's visible and you have a permit for it. I'd have to double check though.

8. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Guns In Mexico!!!

Having a gun in Mexico is forbidden. In fact, if you reload, and they find some emptys under your seat, you will probably lose your ride at the very least. There are provisions for hunting, but this is difficult and not practical. Bottom line is this, a firearm in Mexico means major jail time. No joke. There are checkpoints run by the Mexican Army. They will inspect your vehicle. If they find a firearm, you will not see the U.S.A. for a very long time. I own a home in Baja and have a residency VISA for Mexico. The people in Baja have been nothing less than friendly and welcoming to us North Americanos. I think our High Schools are way more dangerous than Baja for the unarmed. Leave the gun at home, travel with a group, and have a great time!!!

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

yup... :crazy:

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight! :)

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Better now then 50 years from now in some TJ jail... :D

12. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

I always wanted to run the baja. Check out wideopenbaja.com. I looked into doing it with them but pretty pricey and your on their schedule. A group run down there would be the SH**

13. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

that's my back yard

well at least half of it has been my play ground. I have been wanting to go all the way to baja, and not on the main road. You wont see many people on those roads mabe one or two lost surfers. :D I took a trip down to san quintin through the baja 500 route. it's the best off road trip i have ever been in. no worries, no problems, except for the mine around punta china(1hr south of ensenada). guy literaly bad mouthed us and ran us off, guy was meaner than a junk yard dog. :crazy: that was the only looney down there.

the rest of the people we ran into were great, we stopped at some villages and asked people where we could go eat. they welcomed us in their homes and had fresh homemade tortillas and sea food. don't try anything else seafood is good specially if you can see the ocean. along the coast that's the buisness, you may get lucky and eat some lobster.

I also ran into some soldiers, they were greate. if you talk a little spanish you'll get through. they are looking for guns and drugs. don't hide anything and don't leave valueables around when they search your vehicle(they may get disapear). don't carry guns, knifes, ammo, and specially drugs. carry your knifes in your toolbox or cooking gear. ask to take a picture with the whole group. they love that. treat them with respect, remember they are soldiers doing their job.

some tips, stay away from the border towns, especially TJ. Mexicali, algodones, and tecate are not that bad. Drive during the day, most of baja is unpopulated. there are ranch and farm animals, or other wild animals that get on the road too often. I almost brought back a donkey once. Camp out far from the road, most of the crimes occur on main roads that are not traveled much(gives the bad guys a quick ride out). turist may need visas if traveling further than ensenada. you can get the turist visa at the border(i think you have to pay at the bank though). as for car permits, baja is excempt from the other rules that are imposed on the main part of mexico. double check on this though. It's been a while.

you can get more info here
    http://www.baja.net/
    and don't forget to invite me :) I speak the language.

viva mexico!!! :cool1:

ARQ.