Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trip Report: Bangs Canyon 7/1 - picture galore

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Jul 1, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We started the day at City Market in Clifton. Everybody topped off with gas and food and we headed to the trail.

It was ivie29, fred2mihi, jiminycricket, oatsk5, and 3 on the tree. I road shotgun with jiminy. Never did I expect that it would almost mean the end of my life on this Earth.

On the way to the trail jiminy picked up a nail, but luckily the tire didn't loose air. Apparently 3 on the tree found a bolt that did manage to cause him to loose air. We decided it would be best to park the Burro at the beginning of the trail and 3 on the tree rode with fred2mihi.

Not far into the trail there were some ledges to play around on. Jiminy got to finally trail test the front locker and TBI, and he had a lot of fun. Although the Driveway Queen received the only strap of the day.

The rest of the trail was pretty uneventful. Other than riding shotgun with jiminy. He is tries so hard to avoid rocks that he is almost willing to roll the truck and kill us both. Very scary ride, I tell you! At one point I thought we were going to roll down a 200ft+ drop off just so he could avoid a small rock that was maybe sticking out 3" into the trail. Then another time he almost flopped us over on the side driving 3ft off the trail to avoid a rock sticking up about 4" above the ground. :doah: :haha:

We got to meet up with azblazer at the trail head. He was between jobs. Unfortunately he ended up having to tinker with the Chalet there in the parking lot. Props to oatsk5 for hanging out and helping him get going again.

Here are the pics:

jiminycricket:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ivie29:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fred2mihi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oatsk5:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Group Shot:
    [​IMG]

Few more pictures here:
    Photobucket-Bangs Canyon album

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

got doug on the way whe decided that it could be a few things but he got her going

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

awesome, you need to upload that group shot in hi res so we can save it as a wallpaper

4. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

x2 id love that on my desktop

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

sweet pics, whats the kegs(looks like it:wink1: ) on Ivie29's rig used for?

6. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh what a hot day literally and figuritivley. It was hot enough in that canyon to fry an egg on one of those flat rock areas. All I have to do is go out with someone like ivie29 or hossbaby50 or interceptor to see the type of truck I would like to have. But the "blue thing" handled herself quite well especially with half ton axles. The "burro" didn't get to show off today and I'm pretty proud of the DQ. No carnage on the trail but I shelled my clutch on the way home. Maybe I can get it fixed now and it will shift like I think it should. :D :D
    I'm actually looking forward to playing around on some more ledges and steps. I never thought I was interested in that type of wheeling but it can be infectious at least for me. Thanks everyone for a fun day.

fred2mihi

7. mrk5

8. mrk5

Good deal Erv, thanks for making sure he was able to get it fixed.

Have fun on 29Rd today, and I'll let you know the next time we're in the area.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, that bigger version worked great!

10. mrk5

Those are his fuel tanks.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

My ears are still ringing from all that screaming. "Ahhhh your gonna kill us, what are you doing". :haha:

Did you enjoy my air ride suspension. :deal:

That was a good time, met a couple new guys and had a blast. I guess Doug made it back ok then? How about Mike, did he make it back? Oatsk5 - thanks for all the offers of tires, spare parts, et - your very generous. Too bad I had to drive back, I would have liked to stay.

Riding with Scott was definitely the highlight of the day. :D I didn't know men could scream like girls. :haha: :haha:

Thanks for dinner Fred, you da mang. :waytogo:

12. mrk5

I didn't know anyone could drive like you do! :tongue1:

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Man, I had a great time!!! There is a huge difference between being the pilot and being a passenger. No worries bout breaking something, or which line to take. Thanks Fred, letting me ride along.
    I did make it home on my 15 YO spare. I think the burro was talking to the other trucks, and decided she did not want to go on that trail. How else could she pick up a BOLT in a rear tire, with no road wear on it????
    Fred, I have a tranny jack you can borrow for the clutch job, just let me know. I would like to offer my abode for a weekend , for any who would like to wander around the back country of my area. Probably nothing challenging for you guys with the built rigs, just hitting some BLM trails, and finding where they go. We can do a BBQ here, go running, crash in the house, and do it again the next day. More like a M&G, than anything else.

14. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You guys rock I am glad all had a good time! Wish we were there. Nexttime though. Oatsk5 I see you took your top off looks good. When I get home we will need to takle mine now the other one is pretty much done.
    GodBless

15. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Looks like a fun playground. Dang Fred's been eating his wheaties!!!

Love the group shot.

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Something for the Colorado Crew to seriously consider, there are miles of trail out there on that BLM land. Not a lot of crawling but quite a bit of exploring. Mike, Linda & kids are great hosts. :thumb:

There is always Engineer's pass as well. Mike & I had a great time last year trying to get up it. :D

17. mrk5

Maybe we could figure out 2 trailruns around Gunny. One that is more difficult and one that is more scenic.

18. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

bangs canyon

here's a few pics the wifey took, we had fun, as did the three year old.

July 1-1.jpg

July1-2.jpg

July1-3.jpg

19. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

Man I had fun on this trip. The trail wasnt to hard but there were some good ledges to play on and the scenery was really cool.Fred I dont think I can remember a time that Ive seen 1/2 ton axles take that kind of abuse and not break (wow).

20. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mike as soon as I get the "blue thing" running again I'll take you up on your offer. Marilee and I haven't talked about fixing the truck yet so it might be a little while before we are up and running again!

Could it be that the "burro" is just starting to get a little balky about all of the crazy places you want her to go. :laugh: :laugh: Personally I think you put that bolt there!! :haha: :haha: Thanks for the offer of your tranny jack, you obviously haven't seen the sticker Scott fixed for me that says "Bought not Built" I'm pretty good at diagnosis but don't like greasy hands. Guess you'll have to call me the "gentleman" 4 wheeler

Dinner guest are here so I'll see you.

Fred