Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trip Report - Kinda Long

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by kennyw, Aug 10, 2004.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

This will probably be long after I get done with Ricks carnage /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Went up to Little Naches area last weekend to meet up with Rick (4xrick), Mike (TrcksR4ME), and Shane (leadfoot067). I arrived around 7:30-8pm and went looking for Little Naches Road. It ended up being a little farther out than I was expecting (5-6 miles farther than the directions said) but I eventually found it. Found what I thought was supposed to be the right campground area but could not find any Blazers.

Since I couldn't find anyone I ended up driving back to Naches for gas since $1.91 seemed to be worth the trip compared to $2.56 or what ever at Jack's Lodge /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Got back after well dark and pulled into a spot off the road leading to the campground and was going to stay there the night but about 10 minutes later 3 blazers went flying by up the road (turning the opposite direction as where I was told to go /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif). So I followed them back and found Rick, Mike and Coby (rick's g/f) setting up camp. Found out they had lost 1 ujoint on Coby's K5 and Ricks distributor had loosened up and lost timing on the drive up (on top of pouring rain and foggy pass conditions).

Set up camp for the night and sat around talking. 3 more rigs showed up after this, friends of Rick and Mike from what I understood (some were friends of friends kinda deal...). Another longbed pickup, a K5 (Jack) and one Jeep. I still don't remember everyones names though.

Saturday morning was kinda slow out of the gate (Since I was one of the first to bed around 3am or so). Shane stopped at the camp with his family and we started planning to head out. After everyone got their rigs ready and breakfast out of the way it was nearly noon. Everone kept asking if I was actually planning on wheeling my truck for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

One minor problem was realized when I was heading back from the latrine to find everyone leaving without me. Didn't even know what CB channel or where anyone was going yet (never been there before either). Rick and Coby were still behind me when I headed out so I slowed up to try and let them see where everyone was headed but ended up loosing the group after a couple quick turns and that set up the rest of the day for 2 blazers and 1 stock pickup wandering around half looking for the other group (at first) then looking for our own routes since we had one winch in the group.

Finally got ahold of the other group on the CB after driving half way up a mountain side to find out they were on another trail on another mountain side. Asked them to wait up for us but we ended up taking a different trail than the other group leading up to the powerline trail. Several tight spots made it interesting to get my longbed thru but I had the SM465 and gear/tire combo on my side compared to the K5's with stock axles and 35" tires. I actually made less 3 or 4 point turns thru the trees at times. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

We reached one section with several deep mud holes and one nasty looking bypass (way to tight to fit even a K5 thru as we found out). Rick was first thru and after fighting back and forth to manuever thru the first set of turns his truck died and would not restart. At this point he had been the first we knew of to get body damage by putting a good dent in his drivers side door. I was eyeballing the easiest looking mud hole at this point figuring once Rick was to the other side I would rather get stuck in the mud and winched out than try the trees. However we decided to turn around since ricks truck was running so poorly making it hard to get him thru the tight spot.

We drove back to camp and had a late lunch then headed back up to find some more trails. Went up a couple of roads that ended up dead ending or getting so small only a motorcycle would be able to pass thru. But once up higher we got the other group on the CB again and tried to get better directions to meet up with them. Headed back down the road and back into the Powerline trail (still not realizing it wasnt the same trail).

Made a different turn this time but ended up back on a main road and even more confused. So we headed back up that main road to find more trails to explore. Went into a trail with a large gravel pile off to one side but it dead ended after that. Then headed back towards the road but turned off on a side trail that was a tight squeze between some pine trees. A few hundred feet up this trail Ricks truck stalled and next thing we know smoke is pouring out from under the hood. After a quick shot with the fire extinquisher he had it out but found the wiring fried. Luckily it was mainly the wiring between the alternator and dual battery disconnect. With the second battery disconnected and some new wires patched in to keep the alternator charging we had his truck running again. Though at this point he would not have been able to use his KC lights or winch because they ran off of the second battery.

With the time now around 8pm and the recent damage this was a good point to head back to camp. When we got back we found the other group had returned with some carnage of their own (mostly body damage and lots of mud swallowing trucks whole). We patched up ricks wiring some more by tieing the 2 batterys together (he happened to have a battery cable long enough to do this on hand) and eliminated the battery disconnect for now. Ran in for gas and pop/ice, ate dinner, BS'd some more and headed to bed earlier this night with plans to head out earlier in the morning on Sunday.

Sunday morning ended up being a late start again but this time we were able to leave more as a group (at least left in small groups with a planned meeting point for those heading back from the gas station). This time we were headed up to Funny Rocks. Long trip up the winding mountain/forest service road to the trail head then a few miles up the trail to the rocks. The trail must be considered easy since my stock longbed made it thru without a scratch. One big hill climb had my truck sputtering if I bounced the frontend though. Just glad to have a quadrajet on that hill.

Up at the rocks I parked my truck and watched everyone else play. Things got interesting again when Rick gave it some gas to try and get up one spot. I was about 200 feet away and heard something like an axle snapping very clearly. Everyone watching him from the top of the hill was saying it couldnt be an axleshaft since tires were spinning still on both axles and Coby didnt find any drivelines broken. So he tried to go again as I got up close. This is when I knew it was a rear axleshaft. You could hear the broken ends grinding together. So in an attempt to back down off of the rocks his drivers side rear tire was now over from his initial line on the way up. That tire started climbing a rock while the pass side dropped down and started a teter/toter effect that looked like it could roll. I jumped on the front drivers side bumper to keep it from going over while Jack hooked his winch to the rear and then pulled him down off the rock so he could back up again.

Sure enough we found the pass side axleshaft snapped off and Ricks spare was left at camp /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I think Murphy follows him around for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I started tearing down the axle and cleaning it up while Rick, Mike and some others headed down to camp to get the spare axleshaft. It was around 3pm when they left. I had it stripped down and cleaned out as good as I could with a piece of bailing wire within an hour then put the axleshaft and tire back in just incase the highlift was going to tip over (whick it did from the force of pushing the tire and axle in). Luckly I had the lugnuts already on the tire/axleshaft before that.

When Rick and Mike arrived with the extra parts around 5pm I was ready to slap it in and head home, but there was this murphy fellow hanging around again for some reason. Turns out the 12 bolt axleshaft he had for a spare doesnt fit his 10 bolt like was originally planned /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I couldnt squeeze the 30 spline shaft into a 28 spline spider gear either /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Next attempt at getting this fixed was to drive to the top of the hill and see if we could get a cell phone to work. I wanted to try calling Brad, white-rhyno since he was the closest I knew of and try to find another axleshaft. At the top we found Rick's phone didnt have service with a full battery but Mike had great service with a nearly dead battery (I think I spotted murphy in the tree line again). One call to Jeff (muddytazz) and no luck getting Brad's # but Mikes battery decided it was time to quit. Since Rick had already given his car charger (which would have worked on Mikes phone) to someone that just headed for home a couple hours back we headed back down the hill to see if a slim chance that the car charger I was carrying in my glove box would work (since I dont have cell phone service it actually belongs to an old phone I was planning on activating whenever money allows). This is where Rick got lucky I guess, it would not fit Mikes phone but it did fit Coby's (which also had a dead battery)! Back to the top of the hill and somehow Rick must have chased off Murphy because Coby's phone had service.

After some calling around everyone decided to release some frustration on the surrounding rocks while waiting for some calls back... After a couple of hours Murphy must have got mad at Rick and pushed him off the rocks where he did one full flip in the air and landed hard on his feet and rolled down the hill a little way. He sat up strait with arms in the air like everything was great but when he tried to stand realized he was hurt a little worse than he realized... Several cuts and scrapes and a bruised hip at the least making it hard for him to walk.

After that we got a call back from Brad saying he couldnt find anything. Here is where I decided to chain a log to the truck as a skid and drag it out if need be but they kept calling around looking for parts. With the help of Ricks roommate we found a 10-12" pine log that was cut off of the trail and was the perfect length. Chained one end up to the frame under the passenger door and chained the trailing end to the axle under the spring mount. Sat the truck down and it held the weight perfectly. I bungy corded the brake drum on with the broken axleshaft in place to keep dirt out. Threw on the rear cover and filled with one bottle of gear oil to help keep the bearing lubed back to camp. Got done with this and ready to go just about the time the sun set. Also heard some good news that they located an axle shaft from the top of the hill just about the same time.

After a short test drive we found the log to be holding in place very well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We also decided I would run down ahead of everyone and go after the axleshaft. I had to meet Ricks friend in the Enumclaw Safeway parking lot and they would limp the truck off of the trail in the mean time. Rick was feeling good enough to drive his truck with Mike leading and Coby trailing.

I was 1/2 a mile down the trail when I get a call on the radio that the other axleshaft was falling out /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Guess I forgot to put the center pin back in to hold in the good axleshaft and c-clip /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif... I turned around and went back because I forgot to leave the center pin retaining bolt with the other parts as well. With a little work we had the axleshaft back in and then pulled the cover (found a short log/stump to use as a jack stand as well). After pulling the cover though we found the gov loc in Ricks 10 bolt had fallen apart with out the center pin to hold it together right. So I gutted the carrier and put in the pin & bolt to hold in that axleshaft and went back down the trail to get parts...

Made it to Enumclaw around 1:30am Monday morning and back on the road around 2am with the correct axleshaft, another tank of gas and a quick stop at a 24hr drive thru. Made it back to camp around 3:15am and got my hopes up since I saw lights, only to find one truck though. Mike went down to camp to meet me because the log wore down on the rocks to the point the brake drum hit something and knocked all the brake parts off the axle. They had that back together and waiting for parts when we got back up there around 4am. We were just about done putting it all back together as the sun started rising (and a couple guys were back down to the Funny rocks to find some of my missing tools /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif).

We all made it back down to camp without further incident somewhere around 7am, got some sleep then I packed up and headed out around noon.

All in all it was a fun trip with some very unexpected events.

Carnage list I know of:
    Rick - loose distributor, dented drivers door, broken KC light, engine fire, and broken axleshaft.
    Me - None (in a stock longbed K20), well maybe some of mother natures pin stripping but that doesnt count since my paint was already scratched.
    Mike - Smashed in drivers side rocker panel
    Coby - None

2. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

well ya that is pretty much the just of it I am trying to get some pictures up of it but they are too big i need to down size them and then you can all see how fun it was /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif well anyway thanks again kenny and mike for sticking around ad helping till 6 am the trip was overall fun but i think it might have scared kenny away from ever coming out there again /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but i hope not, my plan is to hopefully with as much help and cheap parts as I can get to have my other rig (the 75) done and ready to go next mermorial day it will have 454 th400 205/203 doubler and some 37 13.5 boggers that is if everything works out. hoping murphy dosent follow me around too much between now and then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

PIC #1

PICS #2

Yeah, thats about the jist of things. To fill in on the "they got left behind" part of the story from Saturday, I guess we didn't realize that they weren't leaving behind us and we thought everyone knew we were going to the powerline trails-probably becuase it was mentioned numerous times but someone wasn't listening /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif or something /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Anywho, I had rick on the 2 way and tried to tell him where we were going and after losing contact I turned around and drove back to camp and to the main road hoping to find them and/opr get them on the radio again. I didn't and made the decision to not drive around every possible road they could have been on and go meet up with the rest of the group. We waited another 30 min at the trail before continuing.

Once we were on the powerline we found a few good hill climbs and some mud pits where there were numerous winching sessions and I managed to damage my drivers side of the truck even more /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif We tried to give them (Rick and Kenny) directions to where we were at once we got a hold of them again, but the powerline is a long trail where you can get on and off in many places and they didn't find the area we were at.

It was a fun trip, I was glad my truck ran like a champ 95% of the time on the trail, road driving is another story altogether /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, here's what my truck looks like after the last mud hole I hit. The front fender got smashed up to the core support, and the lower part of my drivers door and rear quarter panel were dented in a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[​IMG]

5. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

pics well here are a few of my pics of the broken u-joint my burnt wires and me all cut up and my truck in many different points of view and some with a log under it.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

thats wierd when i click on it, it works just fine /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Because you are logged in as the owner of the album, the link needs to be from your public album which is what I posted.