Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trip to colorado

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by samiam, Aug 10, 2003.

1. samiam

samiam Registered Member

I am going to the Ouray area for a week at the end of this month. Has anyone done trails like Black Bear, or Poughkeepsie Gulch ? Any info would be helpful.

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ouray is a great place! I went there on my honeymoon. We didn't run Black Bear, but we ran several trails around and including Poughkeepsie Gulch. Extremely gorgeous trails with water flowing in the streams!! On Po-Gulch, there was only one obstacle that was interesting, but we were going down it, rather than up it, so it was not too difficult. There is a Jeep Tour place in Ouray called Black Bear or Black Mountain Jeep Tours. They are right on main street next to the horse stables. In their "lobby" they have some real good maps on the wall and can tell you everything that you could want to know about trails in the area. They have been giving tours in the area for 50+ years and really know their stuff. When you hit the trail, make sure you take warm clothes (or at least a jacket), and some rain gear as at the 13-14,000ft passes rain and cold wind are pretty much a given. Have fun!
    Nick
    P.S. You may want to post your question in the "Mile High" section where the Coloradoans who run the trails regularly can give you more info.

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Just got back from Ouray....ran a bunch of the trails this weekend...forget black bear unless you are in a jeep or smaller...i did it in my K5 and i will never do that again period...one small mistake and death is a certainty...the trail is barely wide enough for a k5...and the switch back turns are 3 to 5+ turns...bridlevail falls is worth the look...as the old power generating station has been restored and drop dead gorgouse...have fun...make sure you have plenty of film!!!

DW

4. samiam

samiam Registered Member

Thanks for all the info, I work in Sedona quite a bit so Im off the computor for days at a time. Will try the Mile High Club as suggested. My 73 is still running a Thermoquad so I hope the passes arent a major problem. Thanks again, Sam

5. samiam

samiam Registered Member

Well now Im just a bit worried. Certain death !!! For reals is it really that narrow ?? My wife read your post... I had to give her the old "No Dear I will not do that trail " speach. Thanks for the input though, not enough info is a bad thing. By the way.. the Pumpkin Orange Krylon that covers my 73 K5 is Arizona pin striped to the max.. Thanks again Sam