Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trip to huntin cabin aka 1st run on trails

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by puck k5, May 24, 2004.

1. puck k5

puck k5 Registered Member

I left to go up to my father inlaws cabin, to help him with some repairs. The cabin is up near Emporium,Cameron county Pa. There are alot of state forest roads up there and a handful of dirt trails that go up to the top of the mountains in the gamelands. They are nothing to radical no 3 foot boulders for rock crawling, but the dirt trails are pretty well rutted up and washed out in places so you gotta have 4x4 to get up there. they have some of the trails gated but some are still open plus also the logging companys cut alot of trails to log and there is a couple of them up there. Anyways i left to go up 4 hour drive from where i live. Had no problems with the k5 most of the way .She climbed up over Seven Mountain easily enough and I thought the drive would be a breeze. Well i got off of 220 and got onto route 80 headed to Snowshoe 1/2 way up to the cabin. When i lost alot of power she still ran, but had no uhmf. temp was ok. Checked all my fluids, ok. Well we kept going when i got a wiff of the exhaust. smelled like gas so i figured that my old Q-jet was loading up.I knew that the old carb needed a rebuild when i left , but she was running ok down home alittle rich but ok. Well i guess the long drive finally took it out.well we got to the cabin ok.An i figured i might as well drive it alittle.Seemed to be alittle better.Well i stuck her into 4x4 that afternoon to go up the access road to the cabin on the upper side.It was raining when we got there an the dirt road was nothing but thick greasey mud and it also is pretty heavily rutted. Which was cool i figuerd it would be a goood test for the new suspension and tires.Before i tackled the one trail i planned on hitting that day. Well i proceded up the hill and each bounce produced a horrible scrapping under the truck. I immediately knew what it was. The front drive shaft was scrapping on the darn exhaust cross over pipe that goes under it. other an that the tires worked vary well an she scrampled up the hill like gangbusters. With that i knew i shouldn`t hit my trail. didnt want to damage the drive shaft, though i admit /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i was sorely tempted to saw the darn pipe so i could hit the trail, but common sense prevailed.so to make along story short.We got home ok. I know now i dont have enough clearance between that pipe and the drive shaft.Just gives me the excuse i need to get that dual exhaust.An i now have a new carb on order /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.An as a side note .As we passed through the Quehanna Wildlife area outside of Piper on the Quehanna Highway i saw alot of dirt access trails off of the Main road. Alot of them were just dirt tracks. I plan on exploring them alittleon my way up to the cabin.So the trip wasnt a total lost. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Glad to hear you had fun working out your truck.
    Before you know it, you'll have 42" swampers and front & rear lockers, etc, and an empty bank account just to hit the "tough" trails.
    Boss

3. puck k5

I`m already well on my way to that. Thats why the exhaust hitting is a god send. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI got a good excuse to give to the wife.She is alright though as long as i don`t go to nuts. I hope once i get these little bugs out to make a Rausch run or a Paragon trip with you guys

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Glad to hear you had fun working out your truck.
    Before you know it, you'll have 42" swampers and front & rear lockers, etc, and an empty bank account just to hit the "tough" trails.
    Boss

[/ QUOTE ]

you read my book /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. puck k5

At least we`re on the same page /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif.At last some people who understand my madness. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif