Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRIP TO OURAY,COLORADO....Q's??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLUESMAN, Jun 1, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    TRIP TO OURAY,COLORADO....Q\'s??

Hey, Friends and family are planning a trip,we rented 5 cabins.Whats the weather and wheeling like up there?My K/5 has no top and half doors.....is it that cold up there?Are there any good fishing lakes/rivers?Thanks we are really looing forward to this trip.....have to escape the Arizona heat already!!!

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Re: TRIP TO OURAY,COLORADO....Q\'s??

I'm headin up there the weekend of july 17 to do some explorin witha friend from denver. There are all kinds of ghost towns and trails up there...if you call down to Driven Auto....Randy might be able to put you it touch with my friend Bob who has run some of the passes up there a couple of years ago...in fact he is sending me his maps of the area this week. I guess its about a 1.5 to 2 hour ride from grand junction i'm told. Fixin the heater in the chalet this weekend and re jetting the carb to get her ready to explore Colorado....

Azblazer

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

How cold this time of year?I have no top,heater and half doors.Should I install my full doors and top?I'm sure I'll find some decent trails to run.Thanks!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The scenery is awesome in that part of the state. But most of the trails are pretty tame. Lots of rental Jeeps use the trails around there, so the trails have been pretty smoothed out so that they don't have to rescue so many first-time Jeepers. The most impressive view I recall from that area was at the end of the trail that goes to Hurricane Peak. It's like you're on top of the world. As for the weather, it can vary from the 80's and sunny, to lightning blasting the mountainside around you to rain, hail or snow. Once you're above treeline, anything goes, especially after 2 PM or so. If you want to run topless, at least bring some warm clothes with you, plus a rain suit for each passenger. It can get very cold, very fast up there.

One other thing to consider is that you'll be 2+ miles above sea level. The UV light levels are much higher up there than at sea level and you can get a serious sunburn if you aren't prepared. So bring along plenty of sunblock, and hats are also a good idea. Be prepared for humidity in the single-digit range. We're talking DRY! But you're probably used to that, being from AZ. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Colorado had VERY little snow over the winter and not much rain so far this year. The entire state is under drought conditions. No campfires are allowed in any of the forests, and even smoking is banned in most places. Tossing a lit butt out the window can get you a serious fine. Everything is dry as dust. A single dry thunderstorm started 11 fires in my county just yesterday! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif So see some scenery, be safe and have fun! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Plenty of trails around there. I have heard Engineers pass and maybe Imogene are good. A few lakes up on Red mountain pass have good fishing up on top. Dont know any names but One I have been told about is just over the top of red mountain pass and is off to the west about 2 miles. This year no telling how fishing will be up there with lack of water. There are ghost towns and mines to explore and if you look on the net or at the library I know there are several books on the area.

As far as weather that has been covered pretty good in previous posts. Plenty of 4 wheeling maps available in the area and the jeep rental places advertise that they will provide information.

Also some cool waterfalls if you want to hike a little. They do some iceclimbing on the waterfalls.

Have fun and do a report so I know exactly where to go.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Do Black Bear to Telluride and then Imogene back to Ouray....very NICE! Poughkeepsie Gulch(about the most difficult in the area) to Silverton and then back to Ouray via Animas forks . Engineer Pass to Lake City for a beautiful lake and fishing. Ditto on the mostly nice weather with sudden rain and sleet above the treeline. The have a big blow out in Ouray over July the fouth(lots of people!!). The Jeep rental places have nice maps for cheap. Have fun!! Take your suits for the awesome hotsprings pool in Ouray also. There is a small article on the area in the July 4Wheeldrive and Sport Utility Magazine.