Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TRIPLE EXPANDING FOAM RULES !!!!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by pilgrim, Jul 10, 2002.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I was out in oregon a few months back and was drooling over all the old sheetmetal i saw. i guess you guys don't have rust like we do out here in new england...

When i bought my truck 4 years ago i found so much more rust then i thought it had. I went through it and over the years have replaced, 3 doors , a tailgate , 2 fenderwells , cutoff the rocker panels and repaired what i couldn't cut off. Enough is enough the rust stops here. I went out and bought 8 cans of "great stuff expanding foam" and started to fill the rear cavity, i say started because it'll take a lot more than 8 cans!!! But it is so worth it. It keeps out ALL the water. Also (bye the way i have NO factory carpets or interior moldeing at all) i laid down some 1/2 x 2" strips of MDO plywoood on the rear floor from the tailgate to the begining of the mid seat drop off. Than i fit in a layer of 1/2 MDO on top of that to make a raised floor, drilled holes every 20" inbetween strips and filled with foam.... So now water CAN'T get in and its much more quite. not only that but its a great insulater in the cold when i sleep on it....

Use your imagination, thats stuff has lots of uses.. right now I'am working on a way to fill the doors.

I've seen this stuff used to insulate walls on "this old house". Its got to be available cheaper than 3 bucks a can!! I'am looking, but for now i just by a couple of cans every now and than...

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hmmm. cool idea! we don't get rust in vegas. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

What part of NH are you from? I am from Hanover. I am stationed in RI now, too frikin flat. That stuff helped me pass inspection!

4. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I'am in a little town outside of manchester called goffstown, i moved up from mass 2 years ago. thank GOD i had just about had enough of mass , and ri is even worse. my job takes me to ri sometimes and i'am always glad to come home, but some days i get to travel up north and get paid to drive across the kancamangas highway, and thats nice country up there.... i wish i knew of some more nice trails in this area, do you know of any? i really need to get my truck off road , its become an obsesion of sorts just working on it , rather than wheeling it.

5. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

I know of a few in the hanover/lebanon area, but it's been awhile. Most of the places i used to wheel have houses on or near them now. We used to just drive around and look for paths that went into the woods! Sometimes you can drive up the trails on the smaller ski areas, but they don't always post signs, so you have to be careful. Have you gone to Mohawk, in W Mass?

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

no i've never been wheeling in mohawk , mass. but i've been through it a number of times heading to work in adams mass.... do you know where do you get into it?

7. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

No, but i coul find out!

8. steve_sm1

steve_sm1 Registered Member

hey pligram have u been wheeling at the manchester airport?
    Haven't been there in a few years don't know if there trails left, they were starting to build at one end of the area.
    But there used to be some good mud in there and a few nice pits.