Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Triple stick and floorboard ... last doubler question ... maybe...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by dremu, Jun 24, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Stephen is soooo tired of hearing from me, so I'll post here and hope somebody else can answer so I don't make The Man pop a blood vessel :D

Vehicle is '74 K5, no body lift. Took some squeeeeeeeeeezing to get the doubler in (2" rotation on the 205) and a little Sawzall action to get the triple stick to fit. I have unbolted the tranny hump cover for ease of access.

However, for the life of me I can't make the tranny hump match up with the plate that came with my stick kit.

Seems like the sticks are 2" - 3" off to the right, so the front output stick is about where the tranny hump curves down ... gonna take some sheetmetal fab to make that work.

Is the plate that comes with the stick kit supposed to go flat on the tranny hump, or am I supposed to do a little welding? Either is fine, but if I did something dumb I wanna find out now.

-- A

2. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

mine is at a angle and modified the top right corner/side as in cut off... because of the same reason. I was able to make things work mounting it "stock" just not smoothly. It seemed to want to be molested :D If I was putting this in a truck that I was concerened with looks I would have taken more time and made the "stock location work and dealt with the slight rubbing of ther shifters, you can also grind the center to get a bigger opening to take care of that and adjust the throw position of the shifters on the linkages. Just takes time... The triple setup works awesome it just takes a bit to get it in and installed correctly.

3. dremu

Yeah, I'm finding that every truck is different -- no wonder the Doubler FAQ says "this is not an afternoon bolt-in" :haha:

Got a pic, by chance, of how yours turned out?

-- A

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure what the floorboard variations are but in some of them they sit flat and line up great, some the boot plate hangs over the edge, we've never measured them close enough to figure out the variation.
    If it's hanging over the edge, one solution would be to bend the big plate down to match up to the floor contour. Another is to build a little sheet metal box under it to extend the tunnel out a little.
    Hope this helps

5. dremu

The last one is what I had in mind ... just wanted to make sure that the shifters I got were the right flavour. I contemplated cutting them and moving them, but they are so pretty...

-- A

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

The tranny hump on a 74' is different than the humps that came with the 208's in the 80's. The top surface is wider in the 80's than on the older ones. Had the same problem when I did a 700r4/208 swap in my 75'. Got the new hump and the transfer housing did not hang over the side like the 75'.