Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tropical fish aquarium Q.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rjfguitar, Apr 30, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know, weird question but I need someone with a little experience to give me some advise. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have a 55 gallon tropical fish aquarium that is about 6 weeks old. I put a whole bunch of Amazon Swordplants and a few others in my tank along with:
    3 red tailed sharks
    2 rainbow sharks
    3 bala sharks
    3 clown loaches
    1 algea eater
    3 tiger barbs.

My clown loaches got ich so I treated the tank with rid-ich and the ich is clearing up but I also put some PH leveling stuff in and it made my tank cloudy. How long will it stay cloudy and any suggestions?

I know, weird post but I need help. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Whenever I have had some cloudy chemical in mine, it cleared up within 48 hours. 4xcrazy would know more , he has a couple tanks and lots of fish. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Sounds like a cool setup though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

PICS!

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Whenever I have had some cloudy chemical in mine, it claered up within 48 hours. 4xcrazy would know more , he has a couple tanks and lots of fish. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I changed the filters and hopefully it will clear up. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use to have this as a hobby too, will again someday.
    The cloudy stuff should goaway, depends on your filter system as to how long it will take. Becarefull adding all the different things on the market out there.
    Once you get the ich out you should be fine.
    I only used Amquel and Novaqua (sp?) in my tanks. I had mostly Africans in mine.
    I would not add anything to try and get rid of th cloudy stuff. If it does not goaway in a few day change some of the water out....
    Good Luck
    /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Sounds like a cool setup though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

PICS!

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks, fish tanks are fun to watch, really makes a room stand out....

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Did you remove the carbon when you put the chemical in for the Ick treatment?

The cloudy look should go away within abour 48 hours or so depending on how large of a filtration setup yoou are running, i personally use the seperate "looks like a pool pump" under my tank and hoses run up the back setup. Works real nice, and only have to clean the filter out about once a month.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The filter/pump,,
    [​IMG]

The fish,,
    [​IMG]

Yes, i know, they're gold fish, we got them about 4 years ago from Wal-Mart to throw in a 10 gallon tank and they kept growing, until i needed this tank, then they bred, so now we have what you se in the pic. Crazy fish, they have attitude as well. Everytime i go to feed them, i lift the lid, reach down to get the food, and the big ones will splash water out the top. It's the only time they splash.

That filter is a real nice setup, pricey at about $150, but worth it, it keeps this tank alot cleaner than those backside tank mounted filters do anyday, and don't know if you know or not, but goldfish are dirty fish, they can really make a mess. Anyway,,,

9. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Is that a magnum 350? Excellent filters! Have had several myself over the years and worth every penny paid for them.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

use baking soda to keep the ph in check /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yeah, Magnum 350, nice filters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rjfguitar

I have the side mounted filtration system.. the emporer 400. It seems to keep the tank pretty clean though.

Yeah, we had goldfish a few years back and they were dirty bastards....thats why I went tropical...much cleaner, easier to take care of IMHO.

It looks like the tank "fog" is starting to lift after I changed the filters. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4xcrazy, how many gallons is that GF tank?

wow, I am suprised on how many people are fish hobbiests, cool! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Not exactly sure of the gallon capacity, but i use an old water cooler bottle to fill it, right about 40 gallons is what i figured, when these critters are gone, i had planned on getting more colorful, tropical type fish, was also kinda thinkin about the salt water deal as well. but not sure yet, depends on the work schedule i guess when that happens.

14. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    wow, I am suprised on how many people are fish hobbiests, cool! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    hell i have a 100 gal 2 55 gal and 2 20 gal tanks /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Any of them reef tanks?

16. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    use baking soda to keep the ph in check /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi all!

Dumb question..Could you explain how to use the baking soda? I have an emporer bio wheel filter, if that means anything.. Here in cleveland, the water is pretty hard, and I'd like to keep the ph stable.

Thanks, T /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. mudhog

no i do want a salt water tank but right now i don't have the money /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. mudhog

how big is your tank? on my 100 gal tank i use about 4 table spoons on the 55 i use 2 table spoons just dump it in the tank and it will neutralize the ph

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    hell i have a 100 gal 2 55 gal and 2 20 gal tanks /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    no i do want a salt water tank but right now i don't have the money /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah no kidding! Those fish are expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And you can't have live leaf plants....I like lots of plants. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif