Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble getting steering arm off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chrisb420, Nov 20, 2004.

1. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i am having trouble getting my steering arm to come off of my 86 k5 i unbolted the three nuts on top and took off the drag link and i cant get the thing off i have used the BFH and i just cant get it off any ideas /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Hit it harder.

Your BFH isn't FB enough.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Hit the steering arm on the part number that is cast into it. Hit it all over really hard. Hit it from underneith also. If that doesn't work then get a bigger hammer.

Harley

4. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

alright thanks for the info i will try to beat the hell out of it in the morning and see if it pops loose also anybody reccomend where to get new drag links the old ones are looking pretty sloppy

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I bought mine at NAPA. Maybe try some heat on the arm /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Don't use heat unless you enjoy replacing ball joint boots. How do you have the axle supported?

7. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i have the frame and axle on jackstands and i have tried everything. it looks as if after 18 years of new york winters have rusted the steering arm to the axle and it just dosent want to come off

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hit downwards and carefully use a chisel to try and remove the cone washers

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Maybe you swing the hammer like a girl? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif JUST KIDDING! The steering arm is close to the last thing that I do when lifting a truck. I put the passenger side tire on and have all of the weight of the truck supported on it and a jack positioned under the driver side u-bolts (no jackstands under the frame). I feel that it is easier when the axle is supported like this so that the force from your hammer can apply pressure to the arm/knuckle connection rather than having it's energy absorbed by a loosly supported axle. Apply force through the entire hammer swing, not just enough to get the hammer moving. Watch the three cone washers(the things under the 3 nuts that you took off), when they look loose you can use a vice grips or channel locks to remove them, it helps to use a twisting motion as you pull up as if you were removing a nut. I took the arm off of my buddies 1984 K5 a few days ago; it only took 8 hits with no PB Blaster or other penetrant and we live in the glorious rust belt also. No, I'm not a monster or a brute, I'm a little scrawny a$$ that weighs in at 132 pounds (I could be the poster boy for the stick people), so I know you can do it. Keep swingin' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I read a post from someone that said to just loosen up the nuts a bit and take it for quick spin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hit the steering arm with a BFH right were the numbers are stamped on the arm...2 really good hits and mine popped right off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif