Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trouble installing the Torque Converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZZ4x4, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a TH350 which I recently bought, and the torque converter was not installed when I picked it up. I can NOT get the torque converter to go onto the tranny. :crazy: Usually you just rotate the thing until it clunks a couple times and slides on. This one, I wiggle and rotate and wiggle and rotate. It slowly goes further and further in but will stop with about 1/2 inch left to go. Any body see this before? Wondering if something is bent or galled in the TC because I can't see any problems in the tranny side.
    Any idears??

2. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you got the right TC?
    Thanks
    Adam

3. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

The seller told me it came off this trans, and they were the only trans & TC he had in his garage, but I am kinda wondering the same thing. :confused: However, the spline count looks right, and it seems to be a pretty normal looking GM converter.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You aren't trying to mix TH350C parts with TH350 are you??

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

the last one is the pump right? have to move it without moving the pump part-like the dist and oil pump. if u set it on there the weight and pressure of it will make it turn and not line up. have to treat it like a virgin when sliddin it on.

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'll try the gentle approach and see how she goes ;) .

dyeager, I don't think the trans is a TH350C since there is no lock-up connector on the side. Not sure how to tell if the converter is the lockup style. I know they are the same size on the outside but the lockup one has a clutch on the inside. Any way to tell visually?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No idea how to tell a lockup converter from non-lockup.

Although it may not work correctly, I'd expect a lockup converter to fit either trans, as the input shaft (tip) is what's longer on a TCC tranny.

8. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, looks like the gentle approach works. I bought her a beer to get her loosened up....OK so it was me who had the beer :rolleyes: ...but I gave it another try. The key was to stand the trans on its end. I hoped not to do this since the fluid pours out, but I think the play in the converter stator made the inner splined hub keep dropping down as I rotated it. When it was laid horizontal the inner splines must have stayed lined up and it finally dropped into place. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Jeff

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I learned the same lesson when attempting to install the torque converter on the tranny after sliding the tranny under the truck.......!@!#$%&*
    Eventually pulled it back out and stood it up on the tailshaft VERY gently then easily installed the converter and used a wrench with the box end bolted thru 1 of the bellhousing bolts to hold the converter in place while navigating the tranny back int the vehicle assy building (VAB)....

Glad to see ya got her in :bow:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Tcc...

A tourque converter for a lock up tranny looks much "flatter" on the side facing the flexplate than a non lockup one,which is "rounded" on both sides..the lockup converter has a clutch disc inside similar to a manual tranny one,and it needs a flat friction surface to drive on inside the converter..

In case anyone needs to know.. :crazy: :p: