Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble mounting engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rusty79, May 16, 2002.

1. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i posted a couple days ago about how the section of the frame that had bent out of place that was resolved by hitting it with a big hammer the mount sits flat again the problem im having now is the motor mount is pinned on one side but the other side is off by 1/4- 1/2 inch twards the passenger side ive tried wedging pushing and pulling on the motor to line it up. it is alligned with the bell housing on the tranny. im using ORD poly motor mounts. wondering if anyone has seen this or had this issue? i dont think its the mounts they seem to be of very high quality im wondering if the old motor mounts (what little was left of the rubber) and the fact the engine has been out 6 months has caused the frame to settle wierd or something and if i should try and spread the frame or just keep trying to wedge the engine over
    please help im frustrated to all h3ll and im on the verge of selling the truck which i really dont want to do but im running out of patience and funds for this thing

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Sometimes the problem is not always what you can readlily see. Try looking back and the tranny/t-case mounts. Put new mounts in there and leave the bolts a little loose so you can have more wiggle until things drop in/ Personally I prefer rubber mounts, they are they to absorb and poly is pretty stiff stuff. Unless you're really twisting that motor hard, I don't see the need. Yes, yes, I know you want to hear that something you bought installed may not be needed, haha. Anyways, loosen the crossmember a bit and put new rubber mounts under the t-case.

3. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

are you talking about the crossmember under the engine?
    ive lossened the tranny mounts and the motor has got a bit of twist the setup should be delivering over 400ftlbs of torque at 2500 rpm so i figured poly wouldnt be a bad way to go but prolly unnecessary as you said but ive been told that they last a heck of alot longer which is why i went with them thanks for the reply
    Dave

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Do you have the brackets installed that go under the motor mounts in some applications? (The ones that hold the transfer brace).
    My opinion on this matter is if it was bent before and you pounded on it with a hammer It is probably off enough to cause you the grief you mentioned. There is not a lot of room for error. It is a bear to retighten but try to loosen the three bolts on the engine that hold the motor mounts onto the block if you haven't already and slide the pin through and tighten the three bolts back up.
    I have had to do the above process once. It was possible to do, the center bolt is the hardest. I had to modify a wrench to do it and it worked out just fine. Good luck.

John

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

thanks im going to try a whole bunch of stuff this weekend so hopefully i can get it to work