Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trouble mounting power steering cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Apr 11, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I’m mounting my hydro assist tomorrow, including replumbing the hydro-boost brakes, power steering box, AND the ram into the system. To keep things cool in the AZ heat, I’m adding a rather substantial cooler to the PS system. Only problem is, how to mount it…

Any suggestions on mounting the PS cooler? It’s about 12” long and 8” high, stacked plate model made by LONG. I’ve already got a huge tranny cooler (plus the one in the radiator) mounted on the passenger side in front of the radiator, and I’ve got a factory oil cooler on the driver’s side in front of the radiator. There is no room for anything that big on the front of the engine, although I did toy with mounting it where the AC pump used to be, it’s just too big.

So… As of right now, I’m mounting it on the front cross member, just below the core support, sticking up between the fan and the radiator. The bottom of the cooler will be about 1” above the bottom of the front cross member and setting up behind the lip. That should give it some air flow and keep it out of harms way. I’ve built 2 uprights out of .125 x 1.5” strap that will mount on the lower cross member lip (which sticks out in front of the cross member about 1.5”). These will be spaced about 2” wider than the cooler on each side. I don’t want it wobbling around and getting into the radiator OR the fan so it will mount up hard (no rubber). In between the uprights I’m running some of the .062 flexible strap (with holes every inch) and the cooler will mount to that. The strap should flex enough to absorb much of the cross member flex (if any) and isolate the cooler from vibration a bit. I could mount the uprights close enough to mount the cooler directly to them, but I’m afraid they are to strong it would stress the cooler too much when bouncing around and flexing. I may also make some little rubber isolators out of 3/8 fuel line (cut into 1/8” doughnuts) to mount between the strap stock and the uprights.

As an added bene, mounting it that low with the lines on top, it will be very easy to bleed. Obviously I’ll secure the lines to keep them out of the fan. I’ve still got to build a fan shroud before things get too hot here and I’ll account for the bottom cooler when I do.

Any other suggestions, ideas or warnings?

I’m also switching my leaky hydro-boost pump for a much newer and non-leaky normal pump. Only difference is that the hydro-boost pump has an extra return line, slightly larger capacity, and different pressure bleed valve. So, I’ll swap the pressure bleed valve into the new one. I’ll increase the capacity through the cooler and a length of fuel filler hose to extend the filler neck and pick up a good pint or so. And there will be only a single return line coming from the cooler.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Get rid of the factory oil cooler and mount it there. I am planning to do that on mine. I don't want an oil cooler line to bust in the middle of nowhere. If you are doing serious rock climbing and a line pops while you are watching where you are going and not the pressure guage it could cost you a engine. Just my $.02. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Can you mount it in front of the oil cooler? Or behind the rad? Or move the oil cooler higher and mount the ps cooler below it?
    Boss

4. BadDog

I've considered eliminating the factory oil cooler several times. Seems like it's always in the way in one way or the other. However, with the temps in Southern Arizona, I wanted to keep the maximum cooling possible. I'm not too concerned about loosing the engine because of blowing a line. There are generally going to be spotter who will notice a jet or shower of oil hitting the rocks. They were quick enough to notice when my auto puked up a little fluid on one of the obstacles on Ajax. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif If t does blow, It's easy enough to unscrew the adapter and screw on a filter in the field (other than being hot!). I’m more worried about getting really twisted up and loosing oil pressure due to the angle but not noticing. I’m thinking I may tee in the old idiot light sender and hook it to the seatbelt buzzer and/or light.

Anyway, I may well wind up doing exactly what you describe if my current mount doesn’t work out.

5. BadDog

In front of the oil cooler seems to be stacking too much. I've already got some air flow issues with the tranny cooler and oil cooler pretty much obscuring the entire front of the 4 core radiator. The oil cooler pretty much fills (vertically at least) the drivers side of the core support opening for the radiator so it is not really possible to move it up enough to mount below.

Behind the radiator down low is my current plan. Mounting it down low lets it get fresh air pulled through from under the core support rather than hot air that has already passed through the other coolers.

For what it's worth, I also looked at mounting it on the driver's frame rail. But, the only place that has room would put it right in the radiant heat from the exhaust manifold. Any further forward and it gets too busy with all the hydro lines, steering sector, and brake lines; not to mention making it tough to service/adjust the PS pump.

Thanks for the feedback guys, all thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Stop copying me!!!!

I'm runing into the same issues. I had crazy overheating issues with the last motor so I have this thing about not mounting anything in front of my 4 core rad. So I dont know where to mount this huge tranny cooler that I'm using for my p/s or will be using for it. I just need to find a spot too, preferably in a fashion where it wont block the radiator at all.

7. BadDog

LOL, I swear, it seems like we are coordinating sometime don't it?

If the "low mount behind" works for my ps cooler, you might do something similar. You would just need to modify your lower fan shroud to clear. That way you would get fresh air on the lower part of your cooler, but the upper would be getting back-wash from the radiator. It looks like there is plenty of room between the fan and radiator as long as the brackets don't allow it to flex either way. Main thing I'm worried about is how much the cross member will flex, and would it allow the brackets/cooler to get into the radiator or fan? Your cooler being bigger would have even more potential problems. I'll let you know how things work out (unless someone comes up with an idea I like better) after this week end. My first order of business is to pull this thing up on the biggest rock I can find to get it really crossed up, and then look around to see what's happening...

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Just some insight on how I got around this issue...

I have removed the factory air assembly coming from the front grill to the motor. I then plumbed a line from the cold air intake there and mounted a cooler on the passenger fender well with a shroud and fan. The shroud keeps most of the motor heat off and directs airflow. I also did some modification to the front side of the cold air intake to make it more of a ram air behind the grill. It works for me ;-) I also have a friend in the airconditrioner buisness, so he bent all the sheet metal for me and I rhino lined the outside and put so heat resistant spray junk on the inside to help with radiant heat also.

9. BadDog

Excellent idea! I can't remove the snorkel because of dust kicked up by the tires and no fender well. I also want to keep it on the driver's side if possible. However, there is another port on the driver's side that is used for different engines (like the I6). This port is often used by those setting up dual snorkels for hi-po engines that need to breath better. I don't need the dual snorkel so I can punch out the plug and plumb in there. Not as much air flow without a fan but, Matt (West Texas) didn't seem to think the cooler would even be necessary at all so, probably not an issue. I suppose I could always mount a small temp controlled electric fan if it becomes a problem.

Hmmm, thinking more on it. If I mount directly to the core support there, it will be too high and will cause problems with bleeding and drain back/over-flow. If I mount it back further and lower with no inner fenders, then I have the same “too much stuff in the way” problem for mounting it to the frame (the only thing to mount it to). I could get more elaborate and build a bracket to mount it sort of floating above the steering sector, and then duct it into the port in the core support but, not enough time to finish by Friday to be ready for the “Terminator” run. Something like that may be in my future though! I like it! That’s “thinking outside the box”. Thanks for the idea.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Mount it on the fender. make a duct up to the hood. put a small scoop on the hood. Put a small 12v electric fan on the cooler.

11. BadDog

That would be cool... if I had a fender that is, or a hood... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Actually, I've got a hood but I'm thinking of removing it. I left it on so far because I needed something to hold the core support in place with no fenders. Now I'm adding struts so the hood is redundant, except for keeping the rain off and, since I live in the desert...

I'll eventually build a body for it but, I wanted to get the wheel base and technical mods working first so that the body doesn't get in the way. Other than the fender/hood thing, your suggestion is similar to what is posted above and, I like it. Just no time to build the brackets necessary right now.

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

glad to lend a helping "idea" atleast it got you thinking in other directions. As with many desert racer you might think of moving some things rearward in the bed area if you are topless also ;-) I live in the desert badlands of NM and we have moved many a raditor to the rear so that the bushes at 75mph do not take out radiators and the airflow is great in the rear with a custom snorkel and fan