Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble putting 44's on...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Charisma, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Charisma

Charisma Registered Member

trouble putting 44\'s on...

If I put on 44 inch tires then I know i have to put a 12 inch lift on to clear them, but do i have to do anything else? If so what? I've heard puttin 44's on is complicated? Whats the deal?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: trouble putting 44\'s on...

Its kinda one of those deals that if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it. I don't have time to list everything that would have to be changed or modified to PROPERLY run 44's but here is a quick list.
    Your steering geometry will be way off with such a big lift, crossover steering is the best way to fix it. $1000-$2000
    Custom driveshafts. $1000
    1 ton axles are a must. $2000-$5000
    You'll also need an engine beefy enough to spin tires that big. Depending on which ones you have the tranny and t-case might also need to be upgraded. And tons of other stuff.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

73 K5 is right, you gotta crawl (pun intended [​IMG]) before you can run with the big dogs. If you just throw something together without building a good system that works together, at best you will spend more time broken down than having fun. At worst, you or someone else will get hurt.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. Charisma

Charisma Registered Member

So, then what is the biggest lift / tires I can put on with my 1/2 ton axels?

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

What kinda wheeling do you do? Mud, rocks? I'd probaly say 6 inch lift with 36" tires would be about as big as you want to go but definatly when you get the money uprade axles!

- SlyDog [​IMG]

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

My 4 inch susp w/3 inch body is grat... I run 35's on my 12 bolt/D44... and love it...
    I'm goint o 38's next...
    What gears are your axles???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Biggest lift/tires is kind of a personal preference thing. As others have said, type of use (mud, dirt, rocks, sand), how hard you push it, and gearing also make a difference. Me personally, out here in the desert I would probably go with something like 4" lift, 35" tires, and minor fender trimming. However, if you have really high gears this may even be a bit of a problem performance wise. I ran this exact setup on a 75 1/2 ton Blazer a few years ago and I loved it. Looks good, performs well, and it would handle most everything I wanted to do. Of all my 4x4s I've ever owned, it was my favorite.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> You don't really need 12" of lift to fit 44's, there are quite a few guys on here that fit 44's with around 8" of lift ........ of course there is some fender trimming that would need to be done, but it's just another way to fit 44's. I thought I'd throw that idea into the mix.

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

[​IMG]

9. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

73K5 hans it down
    and the list goes on and on........

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>