Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trouble removing hublocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, May 19, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I was having trouble with my left hub not locking so I got a set of Warn Hubs. The right side went on fine with no problem. The left one (the one that was bad to start with) will not come out. I got the cap assembly and both the lock ring and retaining ring removed but the body assembly will not come out. Any suggestions?

2. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

thread in the screws that normally hold the cap on and try to pull it out wiggling from side to side. if that doesn't work you can try smaller screw drivers in between the hub and the lock and try to pry it out a little at a time from either side.

maybe the hub is bent?

good luck.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

squirt a little WD or something around the edge of the locking hub body. Old grease gets hard or you may have a little rust in there, and like mentioned screw in two of the allen boltsand try and wigle it out. Careful not to break off the allen bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i had the same problem with my right hub, it wasn't locking so i converted to warn hubs. Its a bitch to get out get some carb cleaner and spray out the entire assembly And see if anything is blocking it. If your hub wasn't working this is the most likely cause.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Another thing that can make a hub difficult to remove is the snap ring groove on the end of the shaft.
    I have seen them devolop a ridge and have to be filed a bit for the hub to slide over the shaft.