Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble running truck in cold morning.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by st08x, Jan 13, 2003.

1. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i need some help getting my truck to run good in the mornings, i live in texas so i'm sure its not has cold as other places. but when i start my truck in the morning the choke idles it high for a minute or so but then it falls down and idles REALLY low. it doesnt normally idle that low but when its cold it does. if i let it run for a while in the morning it just stalls easier. BUT. i can make the idle go up if i slowly push the gas to the floor, then the next time i stop the idle is high. anyways to get it to run good, on high idle in the morning, i have a 350 and an edelbrock carb. i know there are adjustments but they dont seem to adjust.

my K-5

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what kindof auto choe is it ? divorced or aluminum housing electric or hot air style ?

if is aluminum housing style then the coil in there is probably tired or someone has messed with it if the three rivets have been drilled out and replaced with screws

if is intake mounted divorce style then the coil is probably tired and new ones are borg warner/dana corp made and 8 bucks at auto zone,make sure rod is bent correctly

theres a screw under the throttle shaft deal on pass die front of carb to adjust fast cold idle speed, the choke blades at top of airhorn should be pretty much all way closed cept maybe 1/8" gap at the most, with engine cold, set your gap and adjustments when engine is cold in morning, how cold it get in tx at night, around zero farenheit or less like up here ? electric alum housing type chokes are most reliable 90% of the time and RARELY need attention.

also carb choke cleaner the linkages of the carb to freeit all up gummi-ness

good luck