Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trouble shifting 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Aug 29, 2006.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

i did some searching, didn't really find what i was looking for...

I am having trouble shifting my 205 out of 4L and N. I can shift between those two but can't get down to 2H or 4H. If i loosen the bolts that hold the spring and that little ball down, sometimes I can shift it with the shifter, sometimes i can't. I can shift it by prying on the little bar there that connects the two rails (when the bolts are loose). Usually have to pry closer towards the shorter rail in order for it to move. The truck doesn't move again just yet, but I was having trouble shifting it even when the t-case was down.

Any ideas on what would cause it, maybe the rails are messed up? Can i pull them without taking the case down?

oh yeah, nothing that i can see is hitting the body or anything like that...

thanks

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sometimes they can be tricky. I have one and almost have to kick the shifter it seems to switch gears. Another is so smooth havta wonder if it's doing anything. Could have some burs or crud on the shiftrails, maybe pull them and clean 'em, then while your at it, do the twin stick mods.

3. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

yeah, It's gonna be a pain in the a$$ if I gotta get out and shift it from underneath too many times, but what the hell, only need 4 low anyways :)