Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble shifting NP241 from neutral

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by driney, May 24, 2002.

1. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 700-R4 that seems to keep spinning the output shaft when in neutral if the transfer case is in neutral. Consequently, I have to shut off the engine to shift from high to low or back. Any easy fixes?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't shift to neutral. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Seriously, an auto tranny will spin the output shaft if there's no drag on it, even when the tranny is in neutral. You need to learn to shift the t-case quickly past neutral to move between high and low ranges. Once you've stopped in the neutral position you either have to shut it off or grind some gears. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Oh yeah, you've probably already learned not to shift the trans into park while it's spinning free. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I learned about not using park with my 78 K10. Interesting sound!! With the TH350/NP203 I had in that truck, the only time I had this problem was at -10 or colder. I have found i can shift fairly quickly and get past neutral but not without some grinding. I thought maybe that wasn't normal.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've found that it's usually easier to shift between ranges if the truck is just slightly rolling, rather that sitting still. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif