Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble starting my 79K5 with a 94 454 tbi HELP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grimjaw, Jan 31, 2005.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am having trouble starting my 79K5 with a 94 454 tbi from a one ton truck. I bought this tuck in August for a guy in AZ. I had it shipped to GA, where I picked it up at the trucking company and drove it home. It ran OK on the drive home except sloppy steering.

Due to the steering and starting a new job it sat for about 2 months before I drove it again. This time it started and ran as I tested the steering out. I only ran it around the parking lot for a few minutes. The next time I tried to start it the batteries were dead. I could not even start it with a jump. This may be the beginning of the problem. So I pulled the batteries and charged them over night. It still would not start.

Fast forward a little more and now my condo complex is giving me crap about moving it. I tried new plugs, battery terminals and charging the batteries thinking it was electrical. The PO had a bunch of wiring from CBs and stereos going no where. I traced down a bunch of them and removed them.

When I tried to start the truck it either does not turn over as if a dead battery or turns over but does not start. Once in a while it will start and rev fine for about 1-3 minutes or I try to put it in to gear.

I am stumped, but I have A LOT to learn about trucks. I will be grateful for any input. Thanks.

Matt

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v red this post a couple of times and the only thing I can think of is either a bad ignition switch or a short/bad ground somewhere. Check all your wireing. espically all the grounds. If you dont have the ground wire that goes from the back of the engine block to the firewall it can cause problems with TBI systems.
    Make sure the ECM is grounded.
    Do you get any trouble codes or CEL?

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

sounds like the batteries are just no good . i would try some new batteries or battery does it have 2? if you have to get it moved from your complex let me know you can bring it down here and i will see if i can get it to run.

4. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Load test the batereys or at least the one you need to start. EFI dose not like low voltage at all!

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The Batteries are a pair of Optima Red Tops that are less than 3 years old. They do no seem to be the problem. I charged them after the first time they died. I think the reason the were dead in the first place is all of the crap wiring hanging and the stupid car alarm. I pulled a ton of wire and the alarm. Now with strong batteries it some times starts but dies if I try to put in in gear.

This is above my head. I know computers like the back of my hand but I am still learning automotive tech. If I was sure it was the wiring I would just get a Painless replacement wiring harness and be done with it.

If I can not figure out some thing soon I may have to have it towed to a shop. God! I feel like such a noob.

Thanks for all the help.

Matt

6. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

a bad iginition module will cause the problems you are having try replacing it.its the one in the dist.

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Update - 3/8/2005

Ok, today I replaced the ignition module, Distributor cap, and rotor and plug wires. The spark plugs are new. Now the engine will turn over each time I try to start it. When the engine starts it seems to rev up and then die with in 15-20 seconds. I have no clue what is wrong any more. My condo complex is telling me I must prove it runs by the end of the week or they will tow it.

I need any help anyone cares to provide. If I can not figure this out I will have to have it towed to a shop before they tow it.

If anyone knows what may be the problem I would be grateful for any input. Otherwise does and one know a good shop in North Atlanta?

Thanks for your time.

I am posting this in the Garage and Southeast forums also.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Rev up and die might be a vacuum leak. Have you checked all the hoses to the MAP, etc?

9. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

To be honest I have a copy of Chilton's and Hayne's in my hand trying to figure out how to. I am an Automotive Tech noob, but I can be taught.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well you should be able to get under the hood, pull the air cleaner, and SEE all the vacuum lines. I didn't mean the MAP was bad, just that any hoses running to it could have been pulled off or cracked.

Hoses are one of those things it never hurts to check...they do just "wear out" and you might find one or more that have problems.

11. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

After all of the input I am leaning to believe its going to be fuel system related.

I am more than a little leery of working on the fuel system with my limited knowledge. My family had a car go up in flames in the past. As a great man once said “A man was know his limitations”. So at this point I am looking for a good place to take it to have the work done in or around North Atlanta. I am under the gun on time; I only have to the end of the week. Thanks.