Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble starting my 79K5 with a 94 454 tbi

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by grimjaw, Mar 8, 2005.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

This is compiled from post in the other forums...

I am having trouble starting my 79K5 with a 94 454 tbi from a one ton truck. I bought this tuck in August for a guy in AZ. I had it shipped to GA, where I picked it up at the trucking company and drove it home. It ran OK on the drive home except sloppy steering.

Due to the steering and starting a new job it sat for about 2 months before I drove it again. This time it started and ran as I tested the steering out. I only ran it around the parking lot for a few minutes. The next time I tried to start it the batteries were dead. I could not even start it with a jump. This may be the beginning of the problem. So I pulled the batteries and charged them over night. It still would not start.

Fast forward a little more and now my condo complex is giving me crap about moving it. I tried new plugs, battery terminals and charging the batteries thinking it was electrical. The
    PO had a bunch of wiring from CBs and stereos going no where. I traced down a bunch of them and removed them.

When I tried to start the truck it either does not turn over as if a dead battery or turns over but does not start. Once in a while it will start and rev fine for about 1-3 minutes or I try to put it in to gear.

I am stumped, but I have A LOT to learn about trucks. I will be grateful for any input. Thanks.

Matt

The Batteries are a pair of Optima Red Tops that are less than 3 years old. They do no seem to be the problem. I charged them after the first time they died. I think the reason the were dead in the first place is all of the crap wiring hanging and the stupid car alarm. I pulled a ton of wire and the alarm. Now with strong batteries it some times starts but dies if I try to put in in gear.

This is above my head. I know computers like the back of my hand but I am still learning automotive tech. If I was sure it was the wiring I would just get a Painless replacement wiring harness and be done with it.

If I can not figure out some thing soon I may have to have it towed to a shop. God! I feel like such a noob.

Thanks for all the help.

Matt

Ok, today I replaced the ignition module, Distributor cap, and rotor and plug wires. The spark plugs are new. Now the engine will turn over each time I try to start it. When the engine starts it seems to rev up and then die with in 15-20 seconds. I have no clue what is wrong any more. My condo complex is telling me I must prove it runs by the end of the week or they will tow it.

I need any help anyone cares to provide. If I can not figure this out I will have to have it towed to a shop before they tow it.

If anyone knows what may be the problem I would be grateful for any input. Otherwise does and one know a good shop in
    North Atlanta?

Thanks for your time.

I
    am posting this in the Garage and Southeast forums also.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm new to the fuel injection, I just installed it on mine but here is what I'm thinking.

1. not likely but did the alarm have a kill switch? and did you remove it?
    2. cranks for a few seconds
    a. losing fuel presure or clogged filter-check lines and filter for leaks. Pull fuel line lose at motor and check for fuel and sending unit working properly
    b. losing spark-check fuel pump relay and oil switch both send info to the ecm and control igition spark
    c. knock sensor-reading low oil pressure and shutting down
    d. water temp sensor bad or not grounded-acts like the choke on FI motors

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The alarm was a old Viper. I do not believe it had a kill switch. I will contact the PO to make sure.

After all of the input I am leaning to believe its going to be fuel system related.

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I am not familiar with swaping newer moters like tbi ones into older trucks but i know the computer goes with it. Is there a way to read the trouble codes and then go from there? It sounds like a sensor problem to me though. Is there any loose vacuum lines around map sensor or some other part? That had been a problem on a truck of mine. Just alot of dry rotted vacuum lines. If you have a manual they tell how to check some of the sesors with a meter. So now it starts every time but dies shortly? Is there a fuel filter that is clogged? Just anther thought is my father in law had a car that someone bypassed alot of the computer stuff and it ran good but don't know what was done to it.

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

After all of the input I am leaning to believe its going to be fuel system related.

I am more than a little leery of working on the fuel system with my limited knowledge. My family had a car go up in flames in the past. As a great man once said “A man was know his limitations”. So at this point I am looking for a good place to take it to have the work done in or around North Atlanta. I am under the gun on time; I only have to the end of the week. Thanks.

6. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

if you cant find a good shop i know of one on the southside of atlanta in griffin.. or you can get it towed to my shop in fayetteville i will be glad to see if i can maybe fix it. if i cant the shop in griffin can fix it. there the ones i use when i cant repair something .