Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble starting

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by childs, May 4, 2001.

1. childs

childs Registered Member

I have trouble starting my truck. When it is hot to warm. Cold and it usually starts fine. I don't have much trouble at all but once in a while it pulls this on me. The first time was in the winter and this time it was 85 degrees outside. I wonder if the cranking speed is fast enough. The batteries are good. It may be in the starter if anything or maybe in the injection pump but i thought that was OK. Any ideas would be helpful.

DE k5

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

How old is your truck/injector pump? When they get worn they start to loose pressure, real noticable when hot (fuel thin). Add a quart of ATF to a half tank of diesel, see if hot starts improve.

Some years also had a temperature inhibit switch for the glow plugs (back of left head maybe?). Is your engine real hot? or inbetween hot and cold? Check to see if your glow plugs are cycling if its in between.

3. childs

childs Registered Member

I wired the glowplugs directly to a switch after replacing the relay a couple of times. It is only only in a while that I have this problem (twice in 6 month). When it cools down it starts. But while it cranks and doesn't start I don't see any exhaust smoke either. This is usually then the engine is 175 to 200 degrees. The glowplugs don't seem to help in this situation. About a year ago I replaced the injectores and the general thought was the injector pump seemed to be fine. That was judged by a shop that drove it the feel the throttle response. If the ATF helps warm engine starts, what does that indicate? I am currently using the Steddaine additive.

DE k5

4. k20diesel

k20diesel Registered Member

Usually indicates that the cam and rotor are out of spec. Cranking without seeing any smoke out the tailpipes shows that no fuel is being injected. It can takes several seconds of cranking to cycle cooler fuel from the tank into the injection pump and develope the prrssure needed to "pop" the injectors. This is usually the only symptom. Running wise the truck will probably still run fine and have good throttle response. Its a PITA because the pump will generally last 50k miles or more before you get severe running problems - but the hard warm restart sucks. Giving it glow won't help either. No real solution other than to replace the cam and rotor which is rather expensive.

5. childs

childs Registered Member

What is the rotor? Is there another cam other than the one for the valves? Not some sort of cam in the injection pump? I understand everthing else that you said. Will retarding my timing help? It is advanced at the moment. Will turning the fuel up help at all? I am now at sea-level as where I was before was 4500 feet. It is still not blowing as black as when I left Utah even thought I have turned the fuel up some. The last time I got it to start when it had this problem (only had it happen twice and the other time was six months ago) was with wd40 in the intake because I realized it wasn't getting any fuel. These the warm starts are killing me.

DE k5

6. k20diesel

Sorry, what I meant was that the internals of the injection pump that provide the pressure are worn beyond the specifications. Timing won't change anything - you aren't getting fuel. The WD40 in the intake works because it has some explosive properites and when ignited spins the motor over faster than the starter is capable of - which of course, spins the injection pump faster and cycles fuel through it quicker and builds higher pressure - hence it starts.

Not really any cure except a pump rebuild. Its a lousy situation because the truck probably runs well otherwise. I know of a couple other guys who've had this problem, and I have it as well, although not to the degree that you do. It takes me 4-5 seconds cranking on a warm restart. Virtually instant on a cold start. Its been like this for quite awhile, getting only slightly worse as time goes on, it started about 25k miles ago - so the inj. pump has a long painful death. I am reluctant to rebuild it because it does run so well otherwise and 4-5 seconds isn't that bad. But I always carry wd.

7. childs

childs Registered Member

Thank you for your information. I had supected that is was the case but did not want to admit it to myself. Your descrtption is what I am experencing. It had been giving my that 4-5 second stuff for a little while now and I just thought that was my truck. Only recently and some what suddenly did it start the "no start" crap. I just saw an injection pump in the paper for $200 rebuilt by "Parks". I don't know who Parks is though. Does that name ring a bell with you? I am feeling fairly comfortable about working on it by myself. I don't belive that this takes any special tools to change, but I know that it is a very presice peice of equipment. If you have any suggestions I am always glad to listen to advise. I don't always use it but I am ALWAYS happy to listen to someone that knows more that me.

DE k5

8. k20diesel

Don't know Parks, check around, check www.dieselinjectionservice.com for prices. An exchange pump isn't much more and they come with a warrantee. Not too difficult to re&re a pump. You could always do as DieselDan suggested with the lightwieght oil in the fuel, but it doesn't solve the problem. Good luck.