Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trouble turnin' 40"s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_tuff, Apr 16, 2004.

1. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

trouble turnin\' 40\"s

hey i have a 1980 chev 3/4 ton with a 400 sb under the hood, i was wondering if this engine would have any trouble turning 40" tires? it is stock besides, headers, performer intake, and K&N filter. would it be better to run 38"s? thanks for any help

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Re: trouble turnin\' 40\"s

it should be fine

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Gears?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Gears?

[/ QUOTE ]

You seeing a cart before the horse and a smoked tranny and blown axles coming too?

I could turn a set of 40's with a 14 hp Briggs lawn mower engine given enough gears. You throw those tires on a set 3.08 geared 1/2 ton axles and you will be buying a tranny in a week. And the week after that and again after that till you fix the gearing.
    To run 40's you need to go to at least 3/4 ton axles and 4.56 gears. You try to do it on 1/2 ton stock gear twigs your going to hate it.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You seeing a cart before the horse and a smoked tranny and blown axles coming too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just imagined the old Johnny Carson show where he puts on the big hat and holds the envelopes to his head /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I could turn a set of 40's with a 14 hp Briggs lawn mower engine given enough gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what yer sayin' is that when my 38's wear out...if I gear the kids go-kart right...the 10hp Briggs will turn 'em huh? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To run 40's you need to go to at least 3/4 ton axles and 4.56 gears. You try to do it on 1/2 ton stock gear twigs your going to hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that! I run 38's on 1/2 ton w/ 3.73's right now and I HATE IT /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I don't have the $$ for new tires or I'd drop down to 36's in a second. I have smoked 1 tranny already and I don't plan on doing it again. I'll be stepping up to 1 ton and 5.13's as soon as possible. My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif stays parked now for the most part. Till I can afford new axles...gears...lockers....454.... crap, I'll never get it done /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...5.13's as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND THE TRUTH, SHALL SET YOU FREE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...5.13's as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND THE TRUTH, SHALL SET YOU FREE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    AMEN to that brotha'! I'm getting my 5.13's, welded rear diff and D60 spool next week to turn my 39.5" Boggers /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    hey i have a 1980 chev 3/4 ton with a 400 sb under the hood, i was wondering if this engine would have any trouble turning 40" tires? it is stock besides, headers, performer intake, and K&N filter. would it be better to run 38"s? thanks for any help

[/ QUOTE ]

Duhhh I missed that you had 3/4 but the gearing issue still stands. Most 3/4 is 3.73 or 4.10. You need to up the gearing still. It will do it but it still going to be rough on the tranny.
    Now that front axle is still of concern off road. You will get away with this on the street but your going to be very prone to snapping axle shafts.

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

20" of leverage is a lot for ball joints to overcome too. The rear end it up to the task if you get lower gears.

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Most 3/4 is 3.73 or 4.10.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least you said.. Most.... there are even ones out there with 4.56's.... i bought my 3/4 ton 79 "Camper Special" for $500... crawled under it when I was looking at it and saw the 4.55 tag on the front axle... SOLD!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    but I have added a front d60 now... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif