Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Troubles putting tranny back in!!

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by 80K5, Nov 30, 2002.

1. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Hey, today I pulled my first tranny and it was out of a 91 chevy s10 pu. When I whent to put the tranny in it seems to go in most of the way but not quite. I am not able to get the shaft to line up with the bellhousing quite right so it sticks out about an inch and a half? Basicly the tranny aint meeting up with the bellhousing. do any of you guys have any tricks to get them lined up and back together as one?

2. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

is the Torq Convertor all the way seated???? if not it will seem like the tranny doesn't fit too hot any more??? had a problem like this b4 on a fullsize, got the torq convertor seated and it fit like a champ. hope this helps

Ck1500 /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

use an alignment tool to align the clutch center on the crank. then get a friend to turn the output shaft to get the splines to line up. the shaft has to fit into the end of the crank and that is what you do not have lined up.
    TJ /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you might have rested the tranny on the clutch splines and it moved on you. Realign the clutch and tryit again. Make sure the tranny is in neutral so you can have a little play by moving the rear yoke back and forth while installing it.

Another problem could also be the pilot bushing. Did you replace it and if so is it installed straight and as far as it need to be? Is it the right size.?

John