Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Troubles with the emissions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, May 19, 2003.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Today i,ve gone to pass the periodic Technical inspection with my 6.2 .
    The smoke test has been incorrect.It has thrown a lot of black smoke when they have accelerate it with the vehicle stoped.
    The truck throws more smoke for the right exausht than the left.
    Finally ,how the Inspection Station was almost empty,with out more people than me,they have checked the truck with other tester engine, and then the test has been correct:Smoke opacity=1.94.(I think the limit is 2.5 for NA Diesel engines.)
    But the inspector has said to me that i,ll have to repair it for the next inspection.If they woulnd,t repeat the test,it would be incorrect.
    What can i do for get more clean smoke from my 6.2?It has a lot of coal in his exhaust and air intake.
    Should to help stanadyne or wynn,s additives?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Im assuming there are no restrictions in the air intake ducts or filter. If not, then you may have some injectors that are getting worn and/or a few cylinders low on compression causing an inefficient burn.

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    The engine is good.It never throws blue smoke and doesn,t eat oil between the maintenance services.The truck runs strong and fires with only touch the key.
    Until now i havent troubles with the emission test.I have to pass it each 6 months.From the last the truck has made 2000 miles or so.
    This may to be a trouble from the fuel or air sistem.Maybe some dirty inyectors or so.
    Have anyone of you BOSCH inyectors?I think mine has.
    Thanks.