Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Troubles with the K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, May 26, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I went to my GF's today and she lives about 5 miles up a rather rough dirt road. Whenever I'd slow down or stop the engine would idle kinda rough, way too slow, and die. Also, the voltage metere was lower than usual. I think number one my alternator is going bad. Its gone bad once already and it did the same thing and I think I may have cracked a brush when installing it (had to turn the case cuz the idiots had it on wrong and it wouldn't fit).

SO, after I replace the Alt(its still under waranty) is there anything I should do? Check the carb? I'm gonna do an oil change, change the plugs, stuff like that in a week or two. What all should I do? This is my one and only vehicle and I need the dang thing to be reliable. Any advice is seriously appreciated.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Check your battery voltage with everything off. I think it should be around 13-13.5 volts. Much lower than 12.5 and you should probably start thinking about a new battery.
    Clean all the grounds and your battery cable terminals while you have the alternator out and the batt disconnected. I learned the hard way that one dirty grounding wire terminal can cause you to waste HOURS trying to figure out an electrical problem.

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

do like jarhead sez. what rpm is your motor runnig at when you slow down? i might try turrning up the idle. check your cap and rotor too. not too much to get new ones either.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

And check your fuel filter. A lot of people forget about there fuel filter.....Dan

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Alternator should be putting out around 13-14. battery should have about 13.3 or so after a full charge. Any lowe rthan that, your having something funny going on.

Also, could be your Transmission. If its an auto, if there is tranny problem, it could bog your engine, and cause it to stop.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

UGGHH! Forgot about the fuel filter! I need to change mine too, now that I'm thinking about it...

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com>http://www.jarheadsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies, now heres some more...

No idea what RPM its at when it dies. I don't have a tach. I did a 120mile round trip with it today and the voltage was reading dead center on the meter, can't recall if thats 13 volts or what but I think its 13 volts. When ever I'd first start it, the first time I came to a complete stop it would idle slow and die. It also did it once when I was driving up a hill slowly.

Now here's my situation. I've got a grand in my savings. I need new floor pans as mine are rusted rather badly. My Tcase needs new shift fork bushings so I can have 4x4 again. I'd like to get some manual locking hubs. And I want the engine to be reliable for me. So what the heck should I do? The floor I'm gonna talk to my boss about helping me weld in as he did the one in his Scout. So I figure 150 bucks or so for that, maybe less. The Tcase is going to be like 250-300 to fix is what I was estimated at so there I'm up to 550 ish. What all should I do to the engine? New plugs/plug wires, new dist cap and rotors, MSD/Jacobs ignition, what? I'm kind of at a loss here as I don't know all that much about what to look for in a fix but since I've got the cash I want to get it fixed. Any help is appreciated as usual.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Ha, I learned the hard way on the fuel filter. I had a old J**P. and I put a lot of money into new carb,new fuel pump etc, etc, etc, untill I found out somebody had added another fuel filter on it in the frame near the back. Boy was I pissed........Dan