Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Troubleshooting a vibration problem on 99 Tahoe.. details inside

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by rocko, Nov 25, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

My wife's 99 Tahoe developed a bad vibration in the whole truck, including a violently shaking steering wheel from 35 to about 45 mph. This happened shortly after adding a 3 inch body lift to a truck that already has a 3 inch suspension lift. So it's lifted 6 inches with 35 BFG AT's .. old style on 15x10 rockcrawlers.
    Here's what I did..
    1. Checked the steering shaft extension, was loose but tightened it.. no difference.
    2. Retorqued the body mount bolt's .. some were loose, helped a little bit.
    3. Swapped wheels and tires from my 89 Blazer to her Tahoe,the Tahoe rides much better. But the 35's on my truck didn't make a difference.

So.. could this be a steel wheel problem on an IFS truck?
    I've heard from 4WParts here in Austin that the steel wheels are too heavy for IFS trucks and they recommended keeping alloy wheels on the truck.
    So this might be tire balance problem.. or just a steel wheel "out of whack" "out of round" problem?
    Thanks for any input..
    We've had it aligned numerous times.. and I think NTB keep's messing the truck up.
    Thanks in advance.

2. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

I put a set of 285/75R16 Wrangler AT/S goodyears and I have the same problem! I have had the tires alll over in different places, front back side to side and its still the same. The tire dealer even put on two different tires for me and it hellped some but still not ver much. I hope we can figure it out!
    Andy

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm going to throw out an idea here and hope it doesn't sound too stupid.
    I'd say you're dealing with a balancing problem. Here's why I say this:
    - 35's on a steel wheel are hard to balance...harder than 33's anyway.
    (Do not take anything below as fact - this is purely me thinking aloud, trying be logical)
    - an unbalanced 35 will feel worse on an ifs truck than on a solid axle truck. Here comes my half-assed reasoning...when the unbalanced wheel spins, it pulsates the soft ifs suspension. This up and down motion is translated through the steering components and into the steering wheel of the truck, shaking it back and forth. Why didn't it shake your truck's steering wheel terribly? Because the leaf springs don't allow the same easy and rapid cycling of the suspension, thus not shaking the steering wheel. Does this make sense?? Probable idea??
    Hope I could help/spark some ideas from others.
    My suggestion, get the wheel/tire assembly balanced again...hopefully this time closer to perfect, and go from there.

4. mrs_rocko

mrs_rocko Registered Member

Thanks for you idea. Makes sense... kind of the same thing we were thinking yesterday. We're going to get the tires balanced again and see if it helps. The odd thing is, is that when we put the body lift on, there was an alignment problem. Took it in to get it aligned and the truck rode as smooth as it could possibly ride. The very next day we could feel a slight wobble, but not very much, and it has just progressed from there. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe something additional to the balancing problem?

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Update..
    Come to find out.. the tie rod's are extremely worn out. More so on the passenger side where all the vibration seem's to be coming from.

I took off the wheels and was able to move back and forth the tie rods and the grease boot's have deteriorated off the tie rods.
    Should have them replaced soon, i suspect this is the driveline/vibration problem.
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

Tie rods are worn out?? How many miles are on that rig? Mine only has 55,000 on it. I think I might give them a look though just to make sure. My biggiest thing is it drove great before I put on my tires.
    Andy

7. mrs_rocko

mrs_rocko Registered Member

It has 119,000 miles on it... I know it's a lot for a 99 but we tend to drive all over Texas in it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The vibration was there when I had 33's on it but it got a lot worse when the 35's went on... heavier tire will make it more noticeable. Hopefully the tie rods will get replaced sometime this week or next and we'll let you know how it turns out.

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Replaced the passenger side tie rods.. most all the vibration is gone. Next is the drivers side.. talk about a HUGE !!!!! difference in handling, ride and stability..
    Bought brand new MOOG tie rods for the Tahoe.. great investment.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif