Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Troubleshooting heat

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jan 12, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok well it has been getting a bit chilly around here... thinkin bout takin the tank out fer a trail ride on Monday.. wife wants heat....

Now I flick on the heat switch and nothing happens... so I :
    1. hooked a hot wire straight from battery to the blower motor.. motor comes on
    2. hooked a hot wire straight to the wire where it unplugs before the capacitor or whatever that thing is....

now what else can I do? blower motor works.. Is all that is left is the heating switch panel unit? or what is that funky junction under the hood on the fire wall???
    anyone know what color wire should have voltage so I can test it?

thanks yall...

p.s. I gotta trim the fenders some more...
    short clip of the inspection ramp that we have to do in NJ... tires rubbed and cleared the fender for me some... GRRRRR

http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/inspection.wmv

2. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I just went through this myself. I replaced the high blower relay and resistor, but no luck. You can test the switch to make sure it is working, I had to replace mine(only med worked). Tracked my problem down to a short in the harness somwhere between the switch and the relay. I ended up just wiring it myself(due to the pristine state the PO's have left the harness in:mad: ), works great now. :)

3. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem recently only my blower first stuck on high(Bad blower cutout relay)and out of anger I grabbed the relay and it came out of the metal case.I went to the local u-pull it and scavenged a relay and heater dash switch for $2.50 a piece. I also replaced the blower motor(autozone Lifetime warranty $18.99) due to it being a serious Screamin' Banshee in the morning!Works like a dream now!:grin: Good luck!

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

either switch in dash, or relay