Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trout fishing tomorrow!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Apr 4, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Opening day was this past Saturday here in North Carolina. Had to work twelve hour shifts Fri,Sat, and Sunday. 6 Hours today. So tomorrow.......................

2. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

what kind do you have there?

I grew up fishing for brookies and browns.

I used to think that 18" was a big fish and then I moved to Alaska.

3. dontoe

They stock Brook, Rainbow and Brown. The Brookies are the only true native ones. I usually fish live bait streams so I can eat 'em!

Yea, that's big for around here. I got a 15" Brookie about ten years ago I am still proud of. From a small stream..........North Fork of Jacob's Fork river.

4. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I caught a hog 23" brown once. A 15" brookie is big. I think the biggest I ever caught was 12 or 13 in a spring that was only about 6-8 feet wide.

My daughter caught a 16" rainbow when she was four years old. Still my favorite picture of her. She used to be so cool to hang out with and now she is a GIRL. Almost 13 going on 16. Great to talk to if you want to talk about hair, make-up or American Idol.

5. dontoe

19.5 is my biggest Brown................can't seem to find the time to go like I used to. Gonna try harder this year though!!!

6. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

hey Don..Sup'? Yeah I'm hoping to get out more this year too. Gonna focus on the big Browns and smallmouth bass near home. Browns in Stampead can get well over 20lbs. All the bass are really small. Most all the BIG Macinhaws are fished out of Donner Lake. Some bigs one left in Lake Thaoe. Don't get to Tahoe much. Better fishing at this side of the hill. I likely won't get the boat out of storage until end of the month. Still snowing and cold here. Hope the rims and seats are working out well. I'll be working more on mine this week. Hope to test drive soon!! :D

7. dontoe

Well, the weather was beautiful, had the top off of the Jimmy. Fish didn't cooperate very well though. Only caught one till about lunch time. Moved to the North Fork of the New River. Nothing hitting crickets there. My friend Scott hooked the largest trout I ever saw in the wild on a gold Meps. Had to be 5 pounds easy. He hasn't been trout fishing much and I tried to get him to play it a while till it tired out a bit. I had my net ready, but no..............................broke him off after about 15 seconds.....he was trying to horse it around. Big Brown!

We have Lake trout that big and huge Muskies, but I usually Catfish or Bass fish in th boat.

What the heck is a Macinhaw???

Try to get my Bass boat out more this year. Only went once last year due to the '73 K-5 I bought. Went topless most of the summer and stayed up in the mountains alot!!!

The seats are great, so comfortable. And the wheels look great. IMHO!

8. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Mackinaw are sometimes called Lake Trout. They're just a large trout. Record Macks are 30+ lbs. They came from Mackinaw county in the northeast. They were planted in Lake Tahoe years ago. In Tahoe you need to troll slowly with your line down 200-400feet. They stay deep.

fish.jpg