Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tru-track

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, May 7, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

At our club meeting this week I talked with a guy about a locker he had. He said he had a posi unit out of a Scout D-44 and it would work in mine. Does anyone know for sure? Also I read awhile back in one of the many 4-wheel mags I get that when you go to 4.56 or lower the carrier is different, something about ring gear thickness. If this is the case then If he had 3.73 and I want to go with 4.56 or lower will the locke fit?

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I would have too say call or e-mail randy's ring and pinion.THey would know all the available options and compatability probably off the top of there heads.They do make some thick ring gears to fit the smaller ratio carriers but don't know the details.

3. kermit

kermit Registered Member

3.73 is the changeover point on Dana 44's. Gear sets lower (numerically higher) than 3.73 take a different carrier, so the locker or posi unit (there's a big difference....find out for sure what it is) will not fit 4.56 gears. Check out this link for more info:

http://www.drivetrain.com/dana44.html

Len

half Chevy + half Jeep = Cheep!

4. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Uh couple of things here, first you didn't say if you have a 44 or 10 bolt. If it's a 44, then yes it will work. From experience (if you have a 10 bolt) the carrier is the same for 3.73 and lower. Ie, 4.56. Not sure about the dana. Hope this confuses you enough to seek profesional help! Ha!

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

5. Rockblazer

Oh yeah, sorry forgot about the locker thing. Tru trac is not a locker it is a limited slip or posi! Or like we call it out here is positively open! Seriously though, if you are using it for a front application and your wheeling consists of mostly mud or snow not rock, it will probably work ok. You can also build them posi's to make em' work a little better. A friend of mine rebuilt his with extra clutches and actually installed them backwards to get a tighter posi. Used it for years in a generation I Bronco.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Detroit Tru-Trac is a gear driven style posi (no clutches). I have had one the back on my Blazer for a couple of years now and really like it. No, it's not a true locker, but it seems to work better off-road than any other limited slip or posi I have seen.

7. Rockblazer

You are so right 6.2! I totally brain farted! I was thinking Powr-loc. Something totally different.Duh! Thanks for correcting! Take care...